500 gal reef converted to 850gal reef

bdhough

With a tank that size how do you keep up with the trace elements?
Water Changes? Or half a bottle of Coral-vite a week? Only 10% is 100 gallons......
Just a suggestion on the corals(what I would do). Leave a little space for a new one but Let em grow :) With the rate of growth you could get in that tank you could have gigantic sps... But im sure you already know that :)

steveweast

I have a 165 gal container that I use for monthly water changes.
I don't add any additives...I didn't on my old system either. I feel there is adequate trace element replenishment through my water changes and the dissolution of my reactor media...which I go through a ton of.

nm reef

Steve ...thanks again for the info and updates. Anybody even half interested in reefs has got to love that set-up you have!!! What will it take to talk you out of some current pics....some of us have a serious eye-candy addiction....you could probably fix several of us up.:cool:

S

slofish

WOW, I am in absolute AWE!!!!. I third some update shots if you have them steve.

krowleey

umm wow. what kind of salt do you use by chance for the replenishing trace elements? i talked my wife into a 300 gallon tank but dang that 300 is just a puddle compared to that lol nice setup dude wish i had 15k to blow on a tank lol cause believe me i would do it :D

1journeyman

Dude, that tank is phenomenal! I must say I am incredibly jealous.
So many questions.....
I guess I'll stick with just one for now: Have you tried breeding any of the difficult fish, corals, anemones, etc? With a dedicated setup like that you would think at some point you would strike gold and have something spawn!

steveweast

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.... As for trace elements...I don't add any directly; but, I do feel that the dissolving reactor media ( ARM...which I go through a ton of) more than adequately replenishes any trace element usage.
I have been tinkering since those photos above were posted. Here is what it looks like now.

steveweast

1Journeyman...Fish breeding...no. But, my rose aneomes do split fairly frequently. I do try to give the best locations to the best corals. An example would be the solid "blue tortusa" in the photo above. Small 1 inch frags of that (if you can find someone willing to part with it) go for $75 -$100. A colony the size of mine (which I grew from a 1 inch frag) would be worth well over $1000. Mine has taken about 2 years to grow to its current size. I don't; however, grow corals for their value or projected return on investment... I only grow them for my own enjoyment... this is a hobby after all.

steveweast

Snails.... I would guess about 30 or 40. I probably should have a few more right now. I added an extra 150 lbs of rock when I made the switch which is causing a small algae bloom right now. Hopfully, it will subside soon...if not, then more snails will be added.

attml

Steve,
Although I am on the other coast your tank was one the ones that inspired me to set up an SPS tank! Looking unbelievable as always!!:)

steveweast

Ryebread... Yes, I do my own photography. I use a Sony F505 camera. I always have to take a ton of photos before I get one that I like. There's usually something wrong...too light...too dark..fish turned the wrong way....etc. The one of my powder blue above is one of my favorite ones I have ever taken...

Y

yae4volcom

Thats the nicest looking tank Ive ever seen!
As soon as I get out of colledge and get a house (8 years)
IM BUYIN ONE haha
I was wondering, how do you work in the tank? Like how do you move around corals and things? Do you keep any smaller species?

steveweast

Yae4volcom... when I planned this tank awhile back, tank access was foremost in my mind. If you look at the "back of tank" photo awhile back, you'll notice that the light hood is on a sliding rail system. I get up on the tank's platform and slide the hood out of my way. I can reach every inch of the tank with my hand only. It is far more accessible than most tanks.
All of the corals in the photo were started as small coral frags or small coral colonies. I grew them out in my old system. There are still lots of small corals/frags in the tank... they just don't show up too well in the more panaramic shots.