500 gal reef converted to 850gal reef

zap800

hey steve just a plug for a book but, i saw your old tank in "ultimate reef aquariums" and that was really nice. are there any plans for any more books the new tank will be in?

chris17

Steve,
How many holes do you have in that tank for your closed loops an sump? Are all the return lines running through the bottom of the tank or do you have a few along the sides an back? Also, do you have any overflows in that beast? By far the best tank I have ever seen!!!!!:joy:

steveweast

There are four closed loop pumps with a supply and a return needed for each....so, there are eight holes through the bottom to accomodate the entire closed loop system. Here's a pic of two of the pumps....the other two are similar; but, are located on the other side of the stand.

steveweast

There are two 12 X 16 inch overflows...one in each rear corner that has a 2" standpipe plus a 1" return line. Here's a pic of the left return line plus a little bit of the overflow in the lower left corner.

seeweed

hey steve i am from a family of builders as well......one of the things i appreciate most about your tank is how neat and clean you have put everything together...great job

chris17

Do you have anything else as far as power heads or anything go?? Is all that PVC in the bottom of the tank connected to the pumps for the closed loops?? I am asking so many ?'s because I am planning on haveing a 250g built from glass cages that is going to be a smaller version of yours. It is going to be 48" from left-right, 21" tall , and 60" deep/from front-back. It is also going to be a in-wall tank with the 48"side being the veiwing side. I just love how you have a big canyon in yours, hopefully mine will look half as good as yours. Do you have a calcium reactor, Kalk doser, or anything like that??? Thanks for your time , an sorry for all the questions . . . .:yes:

steveweast

The web designer is still finishing up the site....it should be launched soon.
The closed loop consists of (4) sequence 6000 pumps...two of which are pictured above. These four pumps yield a total flow of 24,000 gph...coupled with the two sump returns brings the total net flow to about 30,000gph.
Feeding is accomplished by using one of my return pumps. There is a feeding baffle around the intake to one of the two return pumps in the sump. So, to feed, all that I have to do is dump the food in this baffle and the pump will take the food up to the tank. This baffle prevents any food from blowing around the sump while it awaits the trip up to the display tank. I feed a variety of frozen foods like mussel, mysis, plankton, etc. Here is a pic of the feeding baffle.

robchuck

Steve,
The tank looks great and so does the renovation in the viewing room!
One question though, how much does the system evaporate on any given day?