55 gal SH tank build thread

mr. limpid

I wouldn't put a linckia in that small of a tank, it wont survive; don't mix snails and hermits, hermits will kill your snails for food and shells; air bubblers cause major salt spray, maintenance night mare; metal stand long term will rust from salt.
Likes: you said ORA mandarin, can't wait to see pictures; good luck with dusters and sponge, you'll need to feed several times a day; all those macros, are you planning a refug?;

flower

Hi,
I agree about the starfish, however a seahorse tank is not like a regular SW tank...an air line or two is recommended but no air stone.
I think the only hermit allowed with a seahorse are the scarlet legged, but I'm not sure. At the top of the seahorse and pipefish section is a compatibility chart.
Whatever power head you choose, be sure the seahorses can't hitch to them and hurt their tails. Either cover the PH, or get ones with tiny vents where the propeller is unreachable for them.
Mandarines require a large amount of copepods to eat each day. So add that fish last, and not for about at least 1 year to allow the population to really abound.
Lots of macros will help to keep the water quality good because seahorses are VERY messy eaters...either a refugium, or like me, just grow them everywhere in the tank to help keep the water pristine.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomacanthus13 http:///t/393558/55-gal-sh-tank-build-thread#post_3502683
Well, It doesn't matter because I am not going to set up the tank anyway. After losing ALL my fish (over $350 in livestock) there is no way I'm setting up another tank anytime soon. Also after thinking about it, I feel that upkeep on a tank this size would be way too expensive and time consuming for me. Seahorses are very cool but If or when I do setup another tank, it's just going to be a FOWLR
WOW, that came out of left field. Who are you responding to like that Flower and I are just trying to help. I would use Flowers suggestions she has had horse's for many years, she knows what she is talking about.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomacanthus13 http:///t/393558/55-gal-sh-tank-build-thread#post_3502683
Well, It doesn't matter because I am not going to set up the tank anyway. After losing ALL my fish (over $350 in livestock) there is no way I'm setting up another tank anytime soon. Also after thinking about it, I feel that upkeep on a tank this size would be way too expensive and time consuming for me. Seahorses are very cool but If or when I do setup another tank, it's just going to be a FOWLR
LOL...Are you having a bad day? I agree with Mr. Limpid, left field and a little in the ditch too. I re-read my post and I don't think I offended you, just offered some help...but if I did say something that hurt your feelings, I'm very sorry and it wasn't my intent.
A FOWLR Will cost the same or more than a seahorse tank because you need more rock if you keep fish. As for time consuming, I will admit that seahorses need to be fed 2X a day instead of just once, that's the ONLY difference between the two for up-keep. I had a heater burst and shock my coral reef, I lost around $1500.00 in coral and inverts, oddly no fish died. I'm still here because I'm crazy, and I have started 3 tanks since that incident. I lost 3 fish when the power went off for 5 days a few summers ago, I cried like I lost a child.
So if you decide to toss in the towel over $350.00...now is the time to bale before you spend more. Cheap or maintenance free is not saltwater fish tank anything.