55 Gallon Aggressive Stock List

triton

Hello Folks,
I am thinking of establishing a seperate 55 gallon aggresive tank.
For fish, this is what I was thinking:
Lion Fish
Snowflake Eeel (could I have more than 1 eel?).
I would also like to add, but need your input:
Maron Clown with yellow Stripes. I heard these are really aggresive, but would he likely be eaten by the lion fish?
Clown Trigger (would the tank be to small for a small one?)
Snails and conches for cleaner crew. Would the aggresive fish eat them?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

peckhead

you can prob get a dwarf lion. clown trigger is too big.. sfe should be ok, not sure about 2. i have snails and shrimp and cleaners in my aggressive tank for a while and it goes good. i ahve sfe, humu, puffer. so sometimes ur lucky, sometimes ur not..

triton

Originally Posted by peckhead
you can prob get a dwarf lion. clown trigger is too big.. sfe should be ok, not sure about 2. i have snails and shrimp and cleaners in my aggressive tank for a while and it goes good. i ahve sfe, humu, puffer. so sometimes ur lucky, sometimes ur not..
Would the Maron Clown (Aggresive) be okay, or would lion go after it?

lunarvision

Hey guys, I'm really new to this forum, but decided to register after reading this topic...
Actually, you are describing my current tank situation, Triton!
I have a 55 gallon with a very large (~5", not a dwarf) lion fish, plus a fast growing snowflake eel. I've had the lion for over 3 years and a few moves - everyone is doing excellent!
Personally, I wouldn't add anymore fish, unless it was something that could burrow/hide well (scorpionfish/large goby?). Any other fish I've added have been killed asap! Trust me...especially if you're considering adding a sweet little clown.
I've also got the requisite turbo snails, brittle star, spiny oyster, sea apple (over 1 year!), possibly upside down jellyfish.
I say go for it!

katiev

I've heard that clown triggers should be in species-only tanks because they're so aggressive, much like the humu. Get some large and tough inverts, like a coral banded shrimp or gorilla crab, if you're worried about the inverts being eaten. Personally, I would just consider the clean-up crew an additional food source, and expect to have to replenish the invert stock on occasion. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in on the clown trigger thing.
Sharkboy...well said.

babyb

I have a 55 gallon with a very large (~5", not a dwarf) lion fish,
that is not a large lion, they get like 16 inches if i remember right

phat fish

Maroons are agressive, especially the bigger ones that have an anemone to look after, I would say if your stuck on a maroon then buy a big one that can't fit in a lions mouth and if you have the appropraite light system get an anemone that way it will keep the maroon out of the way of free swimming fish.

T

triggcity

Check out my thread in regards to triggers
"They said it couldn't be done" - I'm taking some serious blows!

pappa d

i have a maroon in my 58gallon tank. he is a great, hardy fish, and can be very agressive. i have to feed him first because he tanks the food right out of the puffers mouth. (he thinks hes a tough guy) i ahve tried feeding the puffer first to see if this would help but he seems to love the krill and whole mussle too, infact anything that gets dropped in the tank i should say he would eat. total slob...just my little tid bit on the maroon clownfish

carter3

Hello I have the same problem. I want a lion, trigger, grouper and sfe, in a 55 gallon. can this be done with a tang instead of a trigger.

babyb

umm i think the grouper will get to big, triggers and lions dont get along but i think the snowflake eel is ok you could do a dwarf lion or a anothewr small lion

joojoo

You'll probably have to have the Maroon Clown for a couple years before she will be big enough to not be eaten by a Lion.

eel freak

i have 2 maroon clownfish and a eel and a lion and the maroon clownfish are mean as crap they bite me all the time

J

jesses89

a lionfish will eat any fish small enough to fit in its mouth... no matter how aggressive or mean that fish is... the lion will make a fish taco out of it.