55 Gallon comming up - Worm ID Please!

jpc763

Hi,
My 55g is in the end of it's cycle. I have 15 cerith snails and 5 turbo snails.
This morning my son noticed a worm. Can anyone ID this worm? Is it bad?
Thanks, John

locofish

if you fed your fish worms then it may be a worm that they did not eat! take it out of the tank see what it is if it is a earthworm put it outside it may be a bristle worm!!

jpc763

Originally Posted by locofish
if you fed your fish worms then it may be a worm that they did not eat! take it out of the tank see what it is if it is a earthworm put it outside it may be a bristle worm!!
I don't have any fish yet so I have not fed them anything. I have heard that some worms are good worms. I have also heard that Bristle worms are both good and bad.
Since I have an opportunity to get this guy, what do you think? Pull it out?
Thanks, J

L

lsu

It came in with your live sand, I have a similiar worm in one of my tanks, It's been there for over a year and has never bothered anything. I kind of like the guy, he stays between the sand and glass, carving out tunnels.

dreamer44

im not sure where I read it, but if it rolls up like a rolly polly bug (kind of like a tire) then its not good....you should take it out.
If Im wrong please feel free, anyone to correct
Lori

darknes

Actually, from what it looks like in the pictures, it's just a burrow. Very rarely will you find harmful worms in your tank. Most of them are harmless scavengers.
I have these burrows all through my sand. I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy.

S

sudc

Originally Posted by Dreamer44
im not sure where I read it, but if it rolls up like a rolly polly bug (kind of like a tire) then its not good....you should take it out.
Lori
Actually, that is for copepods and i think it's the other way around.

meleerock

Looks like a bristle worm. IMO completely harmless and benifitial detreous eaters. I would keep it in, but if you wanna get it out do not touch it with your bare hands. Use gloves or something, they do sting and it does hurt.
Bryan

fedukeford

Just leave it in, the main thing that a very few species of bad bristle worms do is irritate/eat coral, and it dosent look like you have any coral anyway.
Feduke

L

lsu

Originally Posted by MeleeRock
Looks like a bristle worm. IMO completely harmless and benifitial detreous eaters. I would keep it in, but if you wanna get it out do not touch it with your bare hands. Use gloves or something, they do sting and it does hurt.
Bryan
bristles do not burrow, they stay underneath live rock

L

lsu

Originally Posted by Dreamer44
Lori

Worms do not roll up. The ones that roll up are either isopods or amphipods, the majority are beneficial. There are a few that are parasitic, and they are rarely encountered in the home aquarium, not that it does not happen. I had a run in with a ciraloid amphipod, It was rough, I had to drain the tank, but anyhow the worm you have will not hurt anything, leave it. You will cause more harm than good trying to remove it by stirring up your sand bed

L

lsu

Originally Posted by MeleeRock
Bryan
Also bristle worms stay above the sand bed and are easy to identify because they have "bristles". Google "bristle worm" you will find out everything you need to know about them, or just check out wet web.

1journeyman

I've seen the same thing in my sand. Some type of worm that burrows.. kind of cool, sometimes I see little pods traveling in burrow too.
Seems to be harmless scavenger.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by LSU
Also bristle worms stay above the sand bed and are easy to identify because they have "bristles". Google "bristle worm" you will find out everything you need to know about them, or just check out wet web.
Bristle worms are detrivores. They are beneficial.

codylowe

I have the exact same thing happening in my tank although it is not a worm. It looks to be some kind of pod, which is a good beneficial addition to your tank. Do not remove it.
Here is a picture of what i have - it is hard to tell what it is, but is definitely not a bristle worm... Hope this helps.