55 Gallon Reef - T5 Lighting Help!

fishrule

So I've been searching the forum pages for simple answers and keep getting poor results. Also, the forum has been a bit buggy searching lately.
I currently have a 36" Coralife Aqualight Pro with 1-150W MH 10k and 2-64W PC Actinics.
I've had the tank up and running since late 2006 and had this light since mid 2007. I change the bulbs every 6-8 months. I'm not getting good enough light coverage in the tank and I'm tired of the corners in my tank being so bare, with the center of the tank looking like a pyramid of coral growth. I would like to even out my coral growth.
I've never had a T5 setup, but I think T5's are the solution to my problem. I have no idea what setups, if any, will operate better than what I currently have.
What are the pro's and con's of T5's?
My tank is 40"Lx15"Wx22"T = 55gal
I have a mixture of LPS and Softies in my Tank. I don't care about SPS, but wouldn't mind having the ability to add them if I wanted.
I want to stay under $400.00 for a setup and get the best bang for the buck.
Thanks!

wangotango

For that price the 36" 4-bulb TEK would work (~$250 + bulbs), the 6-bulb TEK is ~$280 plus bulbs, or if you have a canopy a 36" 4-bulb Aquailluminations retrofit (~$360).

fishrule

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/3233614
For that price the 36" 4-bulb TEK would work (~$250 + bulbs), the 6-bulb TEK is ~$280 plus bulbs, or if you have a canopy a 36" 4-bulb Aquailluminations retrofit (~$360).
I think I will go for the 6 bulb, but I can't seem to find one for only $280.00 + bulbs. They are all closer to $400.00 without bulbs.
Do I need the buy the Splash Guard and is there a suggested height I should keep the fixture above the tank?
Will this be an upgrade, downgrade, or be as good as my current lights? My lights are putting out 278W with 150 from MH and 128 PC, where the T5 setup is putting out 234W.
If I get the 6 bulb setup, what spectrum sets should I get?
Sorry for all the questions on this, I've mainly only dealt with PC and MH.