55 to 75 - should I do it

broomer5

Currently I have a 55 gallon All-Glass reef tank, that's been up and running for a couple years now - all is good except I want to go with a DSB.
My LFS is running a sale on tanks - and I can get a 75E gallon All-Glass tank, stand and glass tops for $238.00 bucks.
The dimensions on the 55 are 48"L x 12"W x 20"H
The dimensions of the 75 are 48"L x 18"W x 20"H
I would gain an additional 6" in the width front to back, and pick up an additional 20 gallons water, and still be able to use all my existing lighting, filters and other equipment. I would imagine I'll need 200 lbs of aragonite sand as well.
Has anyone else changed over from a 55 to a 75 ? Was the additional volume and increase in tank floor worth it to you ?
Any details or your experience would be helpful.
Thanks
Broomer

javajoe

I wanted to start with a 75, found one for $110, but we got a 55 at a garage sale.
I DO WISH that i had the additional room front to back that the 75 would have given us.
My tank is onyl 12 inches front to back.

robinfly

I wish I had gone for the 75 as well - the dimensions are excellent, aren't they? Plus, it's prolly the largest tank that landlords would allow apartment dwellers such as myself to have ;)
Have you looked into 90 gallon tanks as well? My LFS has a Clarity Plus 90 gallon with a built in overflow that's roughly the same dimensions as the 75, except I think it's slightly deeper (~2") and taller (~4", perhaps) - perfect for the additional volume required for a DSB, I'd think.
[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: RobinFly ]

devante

I have a 75gal, and the extra 6" makes a big difference when you want a reef tank. There’s more room to add a bigger base for LR or just for your little critters to walk around on. It also looks like more a reef with the wide sand bottom.