pufferuk

i have a 90x30x30 cm tank that i am hoping to convert from freshwater to marine i am going to add lots of LR and LS with power heads to circulate the water i was wondering this:
i am 14 with low funds obviously and was planning on buying base or sometimes called uncured rock which is alot cheaper than cured live rock but i will still use cured live sand.
if i use the method by adding dead prawns other foods etc.. to build up the cycle how long would it take to complete the cycle with uncured rock i think some said (unreliable source) it would take about 3 months to complete.
i would be very gratefully for ppl's opionions
thx a lot:)

birdy

I think you need to be sure what type of rock you are buying is it base rock (which is dry rock most of the time), or is it uncured live rock. If it is uncured live rock then you will cycle with this. The organisms on the uncured rock will die and will start the cycle. It depends on how much die off you have to how long the cycle will take. This can be a good way to cycle your tank. I used baserock (dry dead rock) for the base of my tank mainly the part that would be covered up with my 4" sandbed, Then I bought partially cured liverock and this started my cycle.