5g reef

snakeblitz33

Hello guys and gals,

I decided to come back and catch up a little bit with all the good folks here.

I got a new place, a new job and added a new family member since I left. My son, Cayden was born over a year and a half ago. My daughter Emma is almost five now. Gosh, time flies.

I teach physics at a local high school now. I really enjoy my job. We are currently working on the "physics of a fish tank." Which is a 55g classroom tank that I may make a thread on as it progresses. I think it will be a really cool project for the kids. Next year I will also be teaching Biology so it will work in nicely with the curriculum.

I decided to set up my own personal 5g tank again. It's a TopFin rimless 5g with a side sump, stock LED lighting and a small pump. I was wondering if there are any available mods to this tank that I could make to get it looking good and easier to maintain.

Updated FTS 12-31-16

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii295/SnakeBlitz33/Mobile Uploads/00002IMG_00002_BURST20161117182935_zpsk2ldhlbn.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii295/SnakeBlitz33/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20161118_080652_zps1ejbr9uj.jpg

Update 1/25/17

Last edited:

snakeblitz33

Thanks Imforbis! Glad to see you are still around.

I am getting back in the swing of things. I've always wanted a little rimless tank. Glad I'm able to get back into the hobby again for now.

Hopefully this little tank can stick around for a long time. I'm quite pleased so far.

I am only doing some very easy to keep soft corals in this tank. Nothing that requires a lot of work or testing. I'm just going to have to see where it goes.

snakeblitz33

I'm doing OK. I got a job teaching physics at a private school. I'm still doing taxidermy work. I'm really enjoying life right now.

I'm considering getting some saltwater today and a tiny piece of live rock to get the tank started off.

snakeblitz33

I'm putting some sand and saltwater in it today. I got a tiny heater that will fit well. I don't know if there will be any bacteria in it to get the cycle started, but I'll add a tiny bit of mysis shrimp just in case.

The tank is so tiny that I'm not going to worry about much more than regular water changes. Especially with a teeny bioload. if anyone has some recommendations, I will certainly try it.

The TDS coming from my RO unit is at a 2. I'm going to buy new filters for it soon. At least the sediment and carbon filters and give the membrane a really good flush.

snakeblitz33

So the tank fits exactly four gallons of water. It could go up to five, but it would be at the very top edge. I also already have rock in it, so I have to account for that.

The teeny tiny stock pump that came with it is just barely putting anything much out at all. So, I am going to upgrade the pump to another small pump that I have and I'll have to figure out how to modify it to fit the stock plumbing. Shouldn't be much of an issue.

It already looks pretty cool sitting on the counter with the water going. I'll add some cleaned sand and finish it up this afternoon. Pics to.follow.

snakeblitz33

The tank has a small glass top.on it that actually has quite a bit of room for air flow. I'm going to mark a line on the tanks side and top it off every day. I don't have room in the sump area for an ATO unless I do some heavy mods.

snakeblitz33

I am taking out all of the base rock in the tank and switching to all live rock. I also bought pre-mixed saltwater.

The saltwater had some kind of bacterial bloom. I think I am just going to start fresh.

I am upgrading the stock pump tonight as well.

Pics to follow.