6 fish/30gal

theappe

I have a 30 gal tank. I currently have 5 fish
Coral Beauty
Royal Gramma
O. Clown
Sixline Wrasse
Yellow Watchman
I was planning on adding one more fish. I know some say that 5 fish is too much for 30gal. Ive been checking my levels a lot just to make sure everything is under check. Whats the worst that could happen if I add another fish?

puffer32

You will have to great a bioload and your fish will all die. Well you asked what the worst thing that could happen
Actually most of your fish are smaller, so you might do ok. The most important things to do when you have a heavy bioload is to do frequent water changes and do not overfeed. I had 4 small fish in a 15 for 7 months and did a large water change weekly and all was well, you just need to be more careful and watch for problems. I wouldn't add a large fish, but a small one might be ok, no gurantees though.

rbaldino

It all depends on what kind of fish you want to add, and how good a setup you have. Do you have plenty of live rock? A good skimmer?

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by theappe
I have a 30 gal tank. I currently have 5 fish
Coral Beauty
Royal Gramma
O. Clown
Sixline Wrasse
Yellow Watchman
I was planning on adding one more fish. I know some say that 5 fish is too much for 30gal. Ive been checking my levels a lot just to make sure everything is under check. Whats the worst that could happen if I add another fish?
coral beauties need 55.., get rid of it then get your other fish and you'd be fine.

seattle

Hhmm...really every single place I heard of said min of 30
And i'm sure that they wouldn't be in buisness if they have angry people with dead fish.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by Seattle
And i'm sure that they wouldn't be in buisness if they have angry people with dead fish.

well optimally they should have a 55 but minimum a 30 will do for a short time period

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by Seattle

i don't know if you've ever realized this.. but fish stores will tell you anything for a sale, unless you know the people personally, and they actually have experience.

chadman

you just have to stay on top of your water changes...i have a 30g with a very high bioload and no skimmer...as long as you don't over feed and you do weekly water changes you should be okay...

theappe

Thanks for the input guys. So far my coral beauty is doing fine. Eats like a beast and looks good. Ive seen many places (including online) that they say that the min is a 30gal.

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by theappe
Thanks for the input guys. So far my coral beauty is doing fine. Eats like a beast and looks good. Ive seen many places (including online) that they say that the min is a 30gal.
yea well places and books say a 15 inch voliotan lionfish can live in a 55 gallon thats only 13 inches wide.. yea..

ophiura

Water quality has little to do with this question.
Once you start cramming that many fish into a very small tank, you get aggression, territoriality and stress (leads to disease).
I am assuming this is a 3 foot 30 gallon tank?
I would say stick with what you have and be happy
otherwise, IMO, you are shoe-horning a bunch of fish that otherwise would not be in such close proximity and do risk not only "crashing" the biological filter but introducing major aggression.