6-legged starfish?

gksipps

Purchased a bunch of LR from LFS this past week - unknowingly came home with 3 brittles (LFS knew about at least 2 of them, they just were tired of trying to fish them out of the rock, 3rd was a complete surprise today!), 1 red anemone, some other little red thing about the size of a quarter - has arms that resemble a shrunken anemone, but a completely flat body (???). Also, found a small (10 mm) critter that looks exactly like a sand sifting sea star, but it has 6 legs. I counted them several times. I thought sea stars/starfish only had 5 legs? If this critter is not a starfish, what is it? (No pictures available, it was gone back into the rock by the time I could get my camera!) Just imagine a sand sifter with an extra leg. Any ideas?

krishj39

I dunno what type of starfish it is, but it is not at all uncommon for a starfish to have more than 5 legs. While 5 is the most common, some species have many more. Also, some starfish types that usually have 5 legs will sometimes have 6 legs instead, sorta like 4 leaf clover.

lesa

is this star fish white? IF so check in the reef forum there is a picture of one that is white. I have one that is tiny and white that was a hitchhiker.

ophiura

The seastar is probably an Asterina sp star and there are loads of posts on them, including, as noted, one be Lesa in Reefs :) Small brittlestars are common hitch hikers in LR and will generally remain quite small. Beneficial little critters to get!