6 line wrasse swimming sideways

gliderjohn

I have a six line wrasse in a 46 gallon reef tank. He has been in the tank for over a month and has been doing great. Last night I noticed he is hiding in his rock and when he comes out he is swimming sideways. He still eats when I put food in the tank. All water levels are good although Nitrate level has risen to 20. Water changes have been done to reduce that level. I did notice a white fuzzy fleck on his tail fin about a week ago which was there for only a couple of days. Any advice??
Thanks in advance,
Dori

spanko

Wrasses do some strange swimming sometimes, including swimming what appears to be flat on their side. If it is just doing this occasionally I would not be alarmed. However if it is all the time then there could be a problem. Let's see what others say.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Gliderjohn
http:///forum/post/2579673
I have a six line wrasse in a 46 gallon reef tank. He has been in the tank for over a month and has been doing great. Last night I noticed he is hiding in his rock and when he comes out he is swimming sideways. He still eats when I put food in the tank. All water levels are good although Nitrate level has risen to 20. Water changes have been done to reduce that level. I did notice a white fuzzy fleck on his tail fin about a week ago which was there for only a couple of days. Any advice??
Thanks in advance,
Dori
Has anything changed in the tank recently? Have you added anything? Has anything died?

gliderjohn

We had a Bangai Cardinal completely disappear. I'm not sure if something hiding in the rock killed him and he was eaten by cleaner crew or if he died from illness and was eaten.

gliderjohn

We also added a few cerith snails a couple of weeks ago and also a diamond goby last week. All are doing fine.
A strange thing about the Bangaii and the wrasse. When the Bangaii was in the tank, the wrasse always hung around him. When the Bangaii disappeared the wrasse seemed lost. He tried to hang around our true perc. but the perc wasn't interested.
Other than that no other changes. I tested the water a couple of days after the Bangaii disappeared. Ammonia and Nitrites were still at zero.

sepulatian

Keep an eye on him. Wrassies can act weird when something changes. Add vitamins to his food to keep his immune system up. Do a couple of water changes to get the nitrates back down.

gliderjohn

Originally Posted by Gliderjohn
http:///forum/post/2579673
Thanks in advance,
Dori
Update on the Wrasse. He has no bouyancy. He still comes out to eat, his color is fine, but he is just layinf behind a rock on the sand.
I tested water yesterday and all levels are okay with the following exceptions.
Nitrates are 20, and calcium was 320. I need to purchase a really good refrac, but salinity measures 1.023. Any further help?!!!