60g Scorpion/Waspfish/Anthias Tank

fmarini

Bonerac-
the lionfish in the photo? i know its passed you say.
Can you tell me about it?- i too thought immediately P Russelii, (as Renee says) the spot free fins, but the coloration is all wrong If i may think out loud- it looks like P kodipungi.
There is some confusion that P russelii and P kodipungi are the same fish, but my experience is that the coloration between the two is distinctly different, P Kodipungi is always more reddish, and Ruseliis brownish. P kodipungi get red lips when excited
Did you ever notice your lion having a reddish lipstick

cranberry

Ohhhhh.... interesting.....I thought it was now considered synonymous.
What do you know about the andovers?

fmarini

what would you like to know about P Andovers
it looks identical to a P Volitans/PMiles however it also possess distinctive pendent shaped extension on its dorsal rays.

fmarini

Renee-
I image they would show up as P Volitans. again I would expect you'd know the difference because they have an exaggerated pendent shaped flap of skin on each dorsal ray.
I have never seen any LFS carry a fish they call P Miles

cranberry

At the wholesalers one time we passed a big ole bucket of adult lions. You could see some were volitans and some were... not. They had them listed a a miles. We ran home and did some research and sure enough they were.... I wonder where they ended up.
Are these fish distinguishable when small? I want to get a super small Russel's in the future and would love to see that coloration.

cranberry

Okay, we may have changed our mind. We are thinking maybe we won't put the Brasiliensis in the 60g with the anthias. We'll leave him in the tank he is in until he grows big enough to go with the volitan... or elsewhere. Do you think he will be big enough for the Rhinopias/Volitan tank as an adult?

fmarini

Renee-
eventually the brasilensis will get there, not sure thru they grow pretty quick, but it might be a year or so.
As for being able to pick out a P russelii versus a P kodipungi- good luck- they look similar until they develop unique coloration's and lipstick

bonerac

sorry FMarini for not getting back to your question i was gone all day. he was one of the first fish i bought when i got into this hobby igot him from ***** and he was advertized as a violation lion. in all the time i had him i never noticed his lips getting red when excited. in all the LFS in my area (haverhill mass) only advertize lions as violation or fuzzy dwarf. knowing there are many different spiecies of lions it is a crap shot on what you will acualy get. i see all different types in one tank together and when you ask which is which some of the help look at you like you have 3 heads and reply they're lion fish. it is one of the most agrivating things when the people (help)in the store dont have a clue what they are selling.

cranberry

They are becoming rather large now... can't wait to get them out of QT and into the 60g. They've been in QT since January! LOL. We just have to wait for the 100g to finish cycling and the game of Musical Tanks will begin. I'm very excited. We've waited a long time to grow everyone up to non-eatin' size. Some are still not ready.

These are two different fish but notice how their spots match up so perfectly and it isn't even the same side. I'll have to find a pic of the third one. I think one of his lines are different. They all have the break in the line above their eye. At first I thought I was taking pics of the same one over and over.
I still haven't figured out who is king of the hill. Two pick on each other and they both pick on the 3rd. The third is the smaller and definitely lower on the totem poll. I just can't figure out who is boss out of the other two. I suspect it is the larger one, and if it is he doesn't wear the pants in the family.