65 Lion Tank Build

al&burke

Well I finally have the tank in the fish room, the sump is basically shown in the pictures the return is on the left (this is all plumbed) with a single verticle spray bar on the left side of the DT. THe overflow is in the right corner with the drain going to the right side of the sump. The water in the sump goes through two baffle systems that has built in trays for media and filter floss. THen to a center section (possible protein skimmer) then another set of baffles to the return. I will be using a float valve with for the ATO which is gravity fed from a white tub I have. I started to clean some sand, and I already started making water for this tank, I think my RO does a measely 35 GPD. If some of you remember the sump is from a FW setup I had.

S

saxman

It looks like you've used the spray bar before...was it vertical or horizontal? I was always a fan of spraybars at the water surface in the past.
Nice build, like always Al.

al&burke

Thanks Greg, yes I used this one before, it was on the 35 before it sprung a leak. I might have to drill a few extra holes in this one. Tank if almost half full and I scored some nice base rock today, going to make some caves and overhangs tonight.

al&burke

Well the tank is full of saltwater, not moving the lions in yet, but soon, I know what about the cycle, well I plan on taking everything out of my FX5 canister filter and putting it in my sump, it has been built with media trays, and I am going to use an older corallife PS I have on this system until I can get another SWC 160 or 120, I have the 160 on my reef love it. I will move the three lions in slowing one at a time or a week or two. Tonight I built a plexiglass canopy to hold the 4 T5HO lights I have, I know I am cheap and I build a lot of things myself, someday I will build LED's for this tank, SHawn and Corey get ready. So here are some pictures, the plexi canopy is going to be painted flat black with fusion krylon, can say enough good things about this paint on plastic.

al&burke

Got everything moved today - live rock and 3 fish. Everything went well except the fuzzy bashing himself against some rocks. Here are a few pictures.

al&burke

65 liontank with two mantis tanks on same sump
Mombassae
Mombassae in QT
small yellow brown fuzzy
zebra and brown fuzzy in 65 - new set up hair algae gone
dwarf zebra
peacock mantis

gemmy

Absolutely gorgeous!!! You are making me want to take my tank in a completely different direction.