72 Gallon tank cracked after leveling, water everywhere!!!

A

anthonynyc

I need some help here.
This morning I was awakened to water everywhere. My tank is on my first floor and it leaked down to the basement slowly. My wife caught it very early so I only lost a few gallons but these few gallons went all over the 1st floor before finding a way to get down.
My tank has been leaning to one side about 3/4 of an inch for a few months. It never bothered my until I installed a Remora Pro protein skimmer and it had microbubbles because of the leaning. It is the floor that is off by that much.
So I cut some solid oak wood strips and installed them leveling the tank. I put one along the width of the tank on the left side to raise the tank. I then shimmed the front of the stand but NOT the back. I should have done the back as well but could not get back there.
So anyway, I put the fishes in a 30 gallon rubbermaid container with the heater, filter and some rocks, they are all hiding. I empty the entire tank, all sand etc and just finished washing the tank. I cannot see a single crack anywhere.
I know that it is leaking from the middle since the middle brace on the outside is filling up with water first. I double checked again for cracks and did not see any. It seems that maybe the caulking is leaking somewhere.
Should I re-caulk and properly brace the stand and then put everything back? or should I just get a new tank?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. See below to see what I have been through so far :)
Set up tank a few months ago, cycle and all is well.
Introduce a yellow tang, no QT and he gets ICK, all fishes get ICK
Go to HYPO on the main tank, now set up a 10gallon QT with live rock etc.
Decide to switch from crushed coral to sand. Empty tank and all fish, do the swap, did not realize leveling would affect me.
Buy protein skimmer, micro bubbles everywhere after 2 weeks, tank needs to be leveled.
Decided now to level the tank, empty tank again and level.
Wake up this morning with water everywhere.
There are a lot more things that happend but did not include here!!!
Should I re-caulk and properly brace the stand and then put everything back? or should I just get a new tank?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Help!!!
Thanks,
Anthony

adamc1303

All I can say is that it is not leeking in the area you see the water in. It can be leeking anywhere but the wwater is only coming out in a different place because that is where there is an entree for it to leak through the caulk

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by Adamc1303
All I can say is that it is not leeking in the area you see the water in. It can be leeking anywhere but the wwater is only coming out in a different place because that is where there is an entree for it to leak through the caulk
Thanks for the reply.
Has anyone recaulked the entire bottom corners of the tank just to make sure it does not leak again?
Thanks,
Anthony

talath

Recaulking (Silicone) a tank is certainly do-able. The trouble is that you'll have to accomplish this task from the inside of an empty and dry tank. I'd suggest removing the existing silicone, since you don't know where the leak actually is. Then get yourself some of an oxysilane coupling agent...It's a big word for something marketed to glass painters. You can find it under the name "Air-Dry PermEnamel Surface Conditioner". It's distributed by Delta Technical Coatings, Inc. Whittier, CA. You can find it at your local Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin, etc... Look in the glass painting aisle. It's a primer that you can use on the cleaned glass. It will bond silicone to glass like iron to a welder's bead...Well, maybe not that strong, but certainly strong enough to hold the deluge at bay for years to come. Be sure to follow the directions and use a large enough bead of silicone to provide for enough bonding surface.
If you're looking for a quick fix, there are lots of posts concerning fixing leaks. Do a search and you'll probably find something that you can use.
Good Luck!

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by talath
Recaulking (Silicone) a tank is certainly do-able. The trouble is that you'll have to accomplish this task from the inside of an empty and dry tank. I'd suggest removing the existing silicone, since you don't know where the leak actually is. Then get yourself some of an oxysilane coupling agent...It's a big word for something marketed to glass painters. You can find it under the name "Air-Dry PermEnamel Surface Conditioner". It's distributed by Delta Technical Coatings, Inc. Whittier, CA. You can find it at your local Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin, etc... Look in the glass painting aisle. It's a primer that you can use on the cleaned glass. It will bond silicone to glass like iron to a welder's bead...Well, maybe not that strong, but certainly strong enough to hold the deluge at bay for years to come. Be sure to follow the directions and use a large enough bead of silicone to provide for enough bonding surface.
If you're looking for a quick fix, there are lots of posts concerning fixing leaks. Do a search and you'll probably find something that you can use.
Good Luck!
Thanks for the response, I will look for it. Actually I am not looking for a quick fix, this cannot happen again.
After I posted I went to the local fish store and asked the owner for advice. He told me a new tank would cost $175 but advised to fix it. I bought the aquarium caulking. I am now going to head to home depot to try to get what you recommended.
The advice he gave me was to fill up the tank slowly and look for the leak and then repair it but he also mentioned that I should just remove all the silicone and seal the entire tank. I will post the update when I get back from getting the item your recommended.
Thanks!
Anthony

acrylic51

Sorry about your misfortune, but the 3/4" out of leveliness should have bothered you from the get go......I would more than likely opt just to purchase a new tank instead of trying to reseal it.....you can reseal it, but it'll always be in the back of your mind as well

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Sorry about your misfortune, but the 3/4" out of leveliness should have bothered you from the get go......I would more than likely opt just to purchase a new tank instead of trying to reseal it.....you can reseal it, but it'll always be in the back of your mind as well
I decided to get another tank for the 1st floor and use this as a QT tank or something else. I took all the old silicone out which seems that it was installed by a machine or maybe premade to fit the tank since it is perfect. THe old silicone is made with a brown type. I was a pain to get off and cleaned.
In case this happens to you the newly applied silicone needs to set for 48 hours and then retest. All this time the fish are in a container. I called a few places already and it seems the tank is only $150-$200 so Im going to get a new tank as soon as the stores open.
Thanks for those who responded.
Anthony

A

anthonynyc

I changed my mind again, I decided to repair since there are no visible cracks anywhere and already had all the parts already.
I spent the morning cleaning all the silicone off with razors and solvent. There was silicone everywhere. I was going to wash it out but its freezing here in the NE so decided to use a shop vac instead. That was a great idea since I got everysingle little piece of silicone out.
I then cleaned out one more time with tolune and then blow dried it to make sure all evaporated. Once clean I started applying the new silicone. The owner of petswarehouse gave me a tip that helped. He told me to get plastic spoons and after applying pass a wet spoon over the silicone and it worked out nicely.
It's currently drying. I only sealed the bottom and left the sides. I also merged some new silicone about 2-3 inches up the sides to cover them both. So far so good. The large frame on the bottom allows for a sloppy job just incase. The sides are a different matter but can be trimmed if needed.
Webmedia also had some good info. Hopefully no more leaks after all is said and done. I actually feel this is better since I used so much more silicone that what was originally there. The silicone actually sticks like peanut butter so its hard to miss a spot or have a air pocket anywhere. More to follow in 2 days.
Anthony

chipmaker

Personally I would have cut out "ALL" ******** fillets of silicone and redone them "ALL" at the same time so they become a homogeonous continuous seal. Silicone does not adhere to itself well and no where earas good as it does on glass, so those areas you are overlapping after its cured or with old sealant will have a potential to peel in time...Lots of luck. I probably would have resealed it as well as $150 is a $150 I resealed a 210 gal tank that has held up now for years. I also cut out old seals as well as a cracked back panel on a 110 gal tank, replaced the panel, and all ******** seals and its doing fine.

A

anthonynyc

It's been 48 hours. I added water today and no leaks anywhere. I checked and double checked and no leaks.
This turned out ok after all.
Anthony

king4345

had the same problem witha 35 high. I caulked and it worked well for approx. 2 months. Then one morning I was awaken to loud pop and water running. Seems the the unlevel caused the glass to twist over time causing the leak. Then when I re-caulked and levelled the tank it caused the front panlel to split from bottom right to top left.... I would have just spent the bucks for a new tank. It would be in the back of my head everytime I left the house...

1911_guy

Man, are you guys making me nervous!
I've had a 75G chilling for 10 months and just leveled it this weekend. It was off about 3/8". I hope the glass didn't twist. I drained entire tank and removed all LR. Used a handcart to lift the stand and put cardboard shims under the front left, center and right beams of the stand. It is level now. I'm leaving for 2 weeks this Friday.

Glad your sealant job worked, hope it lasts.

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by king4345
had the same problem witha 35 high. I caulked and it worked well for approx. 2 months. Then one morning I was awaken to loud pop and water running. Seems the the unlevel caused the glass to twist over time causing the leak. Then when I re-caulked and levelled the tank it caused the front panlel to split from bottom right to top left.... I would have just spent the bucks for a new tank. It would be in the back of my head everytime I left the house...

I did not keep the tank in the same spot. It was in my dining room before, that is where the wood floor were uneven. I ended up moving into my living room now where it is almost perfectly level.
I really do not think it would have been an issue anymore since I purchased the right wood to do the leveling. It is wood used to level things, it is already tapered and you cut it at the level you want. I could have used this all around the stand, every inch and it would have been ok.
The problem before was when I leveled the tank, I only leveled the side and the front and left the back "hanging". I think that is where the issue was. I will keep everyone posted.
Anthony

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by 1911_Guy
Man, are you guys making me nervous!
I've had a 75G chilling for 10 months and just leveled it this weekend. It was off about 3/8". I hope the glass didn't twist. I drained entire tank and removed all LR. Used a handcart to lift the stand and put cardboard shims under the front left, center and right beams of the stand. It is level now. I'm leaving for 2 weeks this Friday.

Glad your sealant job worked, hope it lasts.
You sound as though you leveled the tank the right way with no strains anywhere. Let me know how it works out. From what I undertand its the caulking that pulls out of place after speaking to a few petshop owners and they all recommended resealing rather than buying a new tank.
Disclosure - my tanks are on the 1st floor and if they leak, I own the house and would not be liable for anything except some minor water damage. If you rent of live in an apt or condo etc that can cause damage to property, then you are much better off getting a new tank of even an acrylic tank for that matter.
Anthony

judyk

Gosh, I have never leveled my tanks. My 55 has been moved several times and been in use for 16 years. Now, after hearing this, I'll probably go home and find water all over my floor.

toonascott

I recently setup a brand new 75 gallon Allglass. They make what I consider to be very good tanks. Mine was equipped with their "Megaflow" overflow setup and I loved the entire setup.
I made my own stand to have fun with my kids. I filled the tank up half way and let sit for the night. Next morning, LEAKING!!!!!!
I drained and exchanged the tank for a new one. Same brand and model. I double checked the levelness front to back and side to side and I found it off by an 1/8th inch. I shimmed the stand until level.
I filled tank to the brim and rechecked levelness. It was now 1/8th inch off the other way!

I don't know how I did it, but I lifted on stand while my wife removed the shim and bingo! Level. :notsure:
The tank has been cycling for a month and no probs, but after settling, it is not perfectly level. I hope she holds

windmill

Always scary stuff thinking about or actually experiencing a tank leaking. Those that have experienced it should've been thouroughly horrified enough to make absolutely positively sure it will never ever happen again. I've got a 15 some-odd year old 55 gallon on a custom stand that "leans" about an 1/8" to the right-rear. I rent a ground floor apartment too. I'm actually seriously considering de-comissioning it until I can re-seam it and build a perfect stand. I'd rather just buy/build another tank, but i'm a broke sumbitch.
I can't stress it enough to anyone new or old to this hobby - MAKE SURE EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR TANK IS LEAK PROOF. My one experience with a flood was damn-near traumatizing and turned me off the hobby for 6 some-odd years. I'm still paranoid though.