75 gal Build

dic wood

I am ordering a 75 gal glass tank 48x18x21"
I'm having 2 bulkheads installed in the center for over flow.
I'm thinking of having another in left hand corner wit a stand pipe 2/3 from the bottom and a ball vale under the tank
and tied in to a drain. Do you think this might be a good idea?
Pro's con's?

dic wood

I'm thinking of having another bulkhead in left hand corner with a stand pipe 2/3 from the bottom and a ball vale under the tank
and connected to a drain for 1/3 water change. By opening the ball vale and draining directly to drain.
Do you think this might be a good idea?

Pro's con's?

I did the same thing. and it's definitely convenient. I have a closed loop system with 6 different outputs going back into the main tank. then, i made and extra one like you that i could drain water quickly and efficiently. what i did was use the ball valve to turn the water off or on. I hooked it up with and adapter that i can hook up a hose, so i hook the hose up, bring the other end to the bathtub then open the ballvalve, and the drain goes straight to my bathtub. However, i didn't realize until after i'd been doing that for a while that the benefit of using a siphon water vacuum thing is that you can clean the sand bed of crap while draining water. Which can't be done if your drain is 2/3 up the height of the tank. So while it's very convenient, you are neglecting an important aspect of maintainence that will keep nitrates and phosphates down.

dic wood

Thanks for the reply
Yes, I did think of that and figured I would have to do some siphoning with a hose to clean up the sand.