75 gal Reef Diary

dmcdonald

So now that its been a month; all the live rock in place, fully cycled tank and new coral & a few fish in place .... I'm going to make weekly posts on tank changes and additions.
Majority of posts will be picture updates and / or questions. Feel free to comment on set up, coral positioning and any changes you might make.
Birth of my new tank; 01/17/11
Equipment
- 75 gal glass aquarium
- Deep Blue Professional lighting; (2) Actinic-03 lamps, (2) T5 10,000K day lamps & LED moon lights
- 250 watt Visi-Therm Marineland Heater
- Digital Thermometer (79 - 80 degrees)
- Hydor Koralia Power Head 1050 gph (2)
- AquaEuro Protein Skimmer (hang on back)
- Blue back ground
*** Sea Life ***
- 40 lbs of live sand
- 100 lbs of cured Fiji live rock
Inverts
px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">
- Snails (10-15)
- Hermit Crabs (10-15)
- Emerals Crabs (2)
- Mexican Turbo Snails (5)
- Peppermint Shrimp (4)
Fish
- Green Chromis (5)
- Firefish Goby (1)
Coral
- Pulsating Xenia
- Zoanthids

right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">

Left side of the tank.

Right side of the tank (zoo's kinda closed up due to recent Mexican Snail cleaning).

Pulsating Xenia (top right side of the tank).

This is the cave rock at the bottom left of the tank. Small white / zoos beginning to grow from live rock. Also, can anyone tell me what type of clam / invert I have imbedded into the rock (dead center of picture w/ the 'zig zag' mouth)? He snaps quite often at random moments.
: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">
Thanks for your time!
Dave

dmcdonald

Increasing color and added livestock / coral.
I know I'll catch some **** for this but yes, that's a Rose Bubble Anemone added into a new tank. LFS tested my water and advised he felt it would be okay to add due to matured live rock, ... lets hope so.

First placed in the tank about a week 1/2 ago ...

... this is where he settled.

New clownfish and frogspawn coral.
The clownfish still hasn't taken to the anemone. Any ideas?

Mexican & his bud Bennie.
Any thoughts on how long I should wait till my next coral / fish? Any coral ideas?
I'll post more full pictures to show the huge change in color on the live rock soon.
Thanks!

what type of clown is that? I had a false and it never took to my anemone when i HAD one. That thing was SUCH a pain. It never liked where if was and eventualy got smaller and smaller till it died. That was 2 years ago though. I read a lot about it and some say only true percula or ocellaris will host. But i dont know about that.

dmcdonald

Funny actually, a new LFS I visited this evening said ... "Print out a large color picture of a anemone hosting a clown and tape it to the tank so he can see it. Be sure to back the paper so the image is dark and the light doesn't bleed the image. Within a weeks time he should mimic the picture." He states he has never actually tired this but a lot of his customers swear by it. Really funny but, ... I may try it. Sad to say but I believe my clown is a false? ... sad part, $19.99; so I'm assuming so by simply remembering the cost.
I'll post new pictures tomorrow.
PS Yellow tang or "Dori"?