75 Gallon Stand

N

nluchau

Does anyone have any good plans for a 75 gallon Stand. Right now I am looking at garf.org for dimensions and everything but would 2x4s be alright or should I go 4x4 on the corners? Any help or instructions with dimensions appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

vtecbro007

do a search on this site ive seen plenty of pictures but you cant see them at this moment due to the updates i think 2x4 would be an over kill just use it on the corners.

N

nluchau

So your saying 2x4's are not enough in the corners? I am open to suggestions. I started cutting the top and bottom frame out of 2x4's today but not sure of what I want to use for the legs.
Thanks

vtecbro007

no im saying that using full 2x4s is way too much,...you should just use it for the corners and you'll be safe.

mpls man

i used 2x4's on my whole stand for my 75, they will be plenty because the weight is all distributed evenly and not just in 1 area, therefore the weight of the water is more spread out over the whole stand, hope that helped. for instance , look at how a water bed frame is made, a water bed weighs more then a 75 gal tank.

N

nluchau

Mpls Man,
Thanks for the reply. How would be the best way to attach the 2x4 vertical to the upper frame? Do you have any pics of your setup I could take a look at? Thanks in advance.
ps Your not too far away from me I live in Fargo.

N

nluchau

Well here is what I have to work with now. I just got done with the top and bottom frame. How should I go about attaching them together. Should I have the vertical 2x4s running lengthwise or width? I have attached a few pictures to better help explain what I am doing. Please let me know the best way to do this. I want enough support for this 75 gallon. Thanks in advance. Nick

porcpuf

:needhelp:
I am currently designing a stand for a 250 gallon... The plans I have would use doubled 2x4's on sixteen inch centers (Stand is 82 inches long) what do you guys think, sound lke enough? I originally was going to use 4x4's throughout but using double 2x4's is half the price.

thetrex

If i were you I would use 4X4 over 2x4"s I just finished a stand for a 90 gallon tank and im glad i went heavyer.

porcpuf

I would rather be safe then sorry. I figured that by doubling the 2x4s it would give the same support as a 4x4 but that is why I was asking.

N

nluchau

Would the stand I am building hold a 75 gallon full of water? I will add more 2x4 braces also

little_d

The stand you build is good enough for 75 gallon, I would suggest you add more support to the main frame. Take a look at my pix and you'll see what I mean. I use a very similar plan to build mine. Beside the 4 pieces of 2x4 you have holding the top and bottom frame, add 8 more around it (2 in each corner/side) and it will become way strong. Enjoy, all I have left is to use a router to round off all the corner, clean and stain it.

N

nluchau

little_d,
Yours looks good. Thank you for the idea. I had something like that in mind too.
Thanks,
Nick :happy:

shoimen

Howdy!
I have been workin the last 2 weeks to get my 75 stand created. I used 1x pine boards (4" and 6" widths). I chose the 1x's opposed to 2x's because they seem to be much 'truer' dimensions and are much cleaner/nicer looking.
The tank weight will be placed on an inner layer of vertical 1x4's (28" tall) and then there is an outer layer that I have attached to the inner layer. They are bonded with liquid nails and LOTS of screws.
The stand has 4 main pieces....front, rear and 2 sides. I'll try and recall to my best recollection, but it is all at home, so this may be a little off.
Sides:
Inner layer: 2-1x6 boards on the sides and a 1x4 board in the middle
Outer Layer: 2-1x4 boards on the sides
Front & Rear:
Inner Layer: 1x6 on each side and 2-1x4's in the middle.
Outer Layer: 1x6 on each side and 1x6 in middle.
There are also some horizontal braces and cross supports. As well as internal braces to support my fuge/sump.
I do not have any pics and my plans are all on paper...but I will try and get some pics so you can see. Hopefully this can give you an idea of what I am doing. If you have any questions, i'd be more than happy to answer them!!!
I was hesitant to use 1x boards, but now that it is built, it is VERY sturdy and puts to shame the stands that I have seen come with tanks at the LFS. So far the project has costed about $80. This does not YET include doors or a canopy, that will happen once the tank is blingin. :hilarious
I am doing a simple polyurethane finish....it looks very nice and glossy and should tolerate the 'elements' quite well.

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by bigtyguyy
ya i did the same thing for my 100Gal stand!!!
Looks good

N

nluchau

Well tonight I got the top on the stand but did not fasten down the 1/2 inch board yet. I have attached a few images of the progress. I will be putting re-inforcements between the top and bottom frame for added support as well. Let me know what you think

little_d

Looks good bro, keep it coming. I just finished routing out all the corners and attached the door, tomorrow I'll clean and stain it. Will have pix up tomorrow.
Have fun.