75 Gallon Stand

1968oldsma

i'm getting my 150Gallon tank tmw i'm probably going to start building the stand for it in the the nxt few weeks i was thinking of going with 4x4 at the corners and in the middle then using 2x4's everywhere else i figure this thing is going to be heavy so the more support the better.

N

nluchau

little_d
I like your Stand, Tank and Canopy. I just need to cover the 3 sides with plywood and add a door on the front and then stain it with some minwax. Still waiting on the tank - should be here next wednesday.

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by 1968OldsMa
i'm getting my 150Gallon tank tmw i'm probably going to start building the stand for it in the the nxt few weeks i was thinking of going with 4x4 at the corners and in the middle then using 2x4's everywhere else i figure this thing is going to be heavy so the more support the better.
That should be plenty for a 150 - I was even thinking about going with 4x4 corners but I'm like this is only a 75 not over 100 gallon. You should be good.

annanymous

if anyone ever needs plans for any size tank, here is a website that s simply a must if you dont have any plans or measurements yet. all you need to give them are the dimensions of your tank. kool huh~! :cheer:
www.fishandtips.com

little_d

Nick, thanks a lots bro. It turned out to be so heavy :) but it's all good, very unlikely to move. I'll say 2x4 is plenty. Yeah, I use minwax too, classic oak color. Now moving on to put together a sump.
Originally Posted by nluchau
little_d
I like your Stand, Tank and Canopy. I just need to cover the 3 sides with plywood and add a door on the front and then stain it with some minwax. Still waiting on the tank - should be here next wednesday.

N

nluchau

little_d,
I have been lazy this weekend and all I got done with the stand was cut the 1/4 inch ply for the sides. My stand is very heavy too, I'd say close to 100 lbs. I will post updated pics as soon as I get them off my dig. camera. Got the sump finished? Whats it gonna be? 29 gallon?

little_d

Nope, still getting help on what kind of skimmer, originally I was going to get the ASM G2 skimmer with a 21 gal refugium but the skimmer footprint is way too big so I got to see if there is another good one that is much smaller or external. My stand only allow me to go 20 gallon max on the fuge so not much I can play with.
Originally Posted by nluchau
little_d,
I have been lazy this weekend and all I got done with the stand was cut the 1/4 inch ply for the sides. My stand is very heavy too, I'd say close to 100 lbs. I will post updated pics as soon as I get them off my dig. camera. Got the sump finished? Whats it gonna be? 29 gallon?

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by little_d
Nope, still getting help on what kind of skimmer, originally I was going to get the ASM G2 skimmer with a 21 gal refugium but the skimmer footprint is way too big so I got to see if there is another good one that is much smaller or external. My stand only allow me to go 20 gallon max on the fuge so not much I can play with.
little_d
I have the seaclone 100 skimmer on my 29 right now. I will use it on my 75 gallon when its ready. Its either hang on or in the sump style. For the price you can't beat it. I think I paid like 67 dollars for it. works good too after you break it in.

N

nluchau

Sorry you haven't heard from me for a while. Been too damn cold around here to do much. Anyway I have a few updated pics I would like to share. I will be staining very soon. Its nothing fancy but it will do.
Nick

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by annanymous
got any pics of the finished stand? and maybe you can share your plans too :joy:

Well so far the stand is still as the last pictures show. I picked up the tank today. I also cut the door and now I need to attach it. The plans I got came from garf.org
I built it 50 inches length, 20 inches width and 30 inches tall. If you have specific questions I would be happy to help you out.
Nick

magooo2

some very nice stands and they have given me some good idea's ...Thanks to all those who have contributed to this thread to help us novice carpenters with some good ideas.

annanymous

how exactly did u get the ,measurements for the bottomg flat wood piece, and also, when u bought your 2x4", were they like smaller then that or they were exactly 2x4". i just bought 2x4 today at home depot, came home, measured and they are 1.25x3.25 [even though the stickers on them say 2x4]
i was just wondering if its normal, cuz now i have to recalculate the whole plan :notsure:

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by annanymous
how exactly did u get the ,measurements for the bottomg flat wood piece, and also, when u bought your 2x4", were they like smaller then that or they were exactly 2x4". i just bought 2x4 today at home depot, came home, measured and they are 1.25x3.25 [even though the stickers on them say 2x4]
i was just wondering if its normal, cuz now i have to recalculate the whole plan :notsure:
Measurements came from garf.org
Seems to me your wood was mislabled or something. A 2x4 should measure 2x4. Now the ones you got will work but like you said you will have to re-calculate your dimensions. Good luck with your new stand and ask if you have questions - I will be glad to help

N

nluchau

I have some updated pics since I now recieved the tank and lighting.

N

nluchau

Here is the light on the aquarium
First pic is the 2 65 watt 10,0000k power compacts
Second one is 2 65 watt 10,000k and 2 65 watt actinics
Third is just actinics
Let me know what you all think