75 Gallon Stand

little_d

2X4 is the measurement before sanding, after they sand it down it became 1.5X3.5, you really have to draw out your plan to make sure, post it here and we'll all chime in and help out. Have fun :)
For the bottom flat wood piece I didn't cut it out until I got the stand finish, I then put the stand on top of that piece of wood and trace the pattern then I cut it out.
Originally Posted by annanymous
how exactly did u get the ,measurements for the bottomg flat wood piece, and also, when u bought your 2x4", were they like smaller then that or they were exactly 2x4". i just bought 2x4 today at home depot, came home, measured and they are 1.25x3.25 [even though the stickers on them say 2x4]
i was just wondering if its normal, cuz now i have to recalculate the whole plan :notsure:

N

nluchau

the light looks really good, but what are u planning to keep in the tank?
Its gonna be FOWLR - I would like to get a low light Anenome sometime but dont know if 260 watt over a 75 will be enough. possibly it I put the anenome closer to the light

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by little_d
Nice pix Nick, just curious, why didn't you get the all glass with build in overflow?
I thought about it but I didnt want a drilled tank. When I upgrade to a sump I will have the hang on overflow.

N

nluchau

Just a small update - I got the first coat of minwax on the stand. Also a pic of the coralife light I purchased

N

nluchau

Got the second coat of minwax on tonight and even cut and routered a door. Just need to stain and attach it.
Little_D - Hows your setup coming along?

N

nluchau

Finally. Finished the Stand. First time I really ever built anything out of wood.

little_d

Nluchau - Everything going great, just orered some acrylic to make my sump/refug. unfortunately, the inside of my tank wouldn't fit a 36" wide tank so I got to make a custom one. Other than that, got the skimmer, return pump and all the plumbing ready. However, I am now debating to up the tank to 125, well unless I can sell the current setup though :).
Originally Posted by nluchau
Got the second coat of minwax on tonight and even cut and routered a door. Just need to stain and attach it.
Little_D - Hows your setup coming along?

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by little_d
Nluchau - Everything going great, just orered some acrylic to make my sump/refug. unfortunately, the inside of my tank wouldn't fit a 36" wide tank so I got to make a custom one. Other than that, got the skimmer, return pump and all the plumbing ready. However, I am now debating to up the tank to 125, well unless I can sell the current setup though :).
A 125 would be nice but then you need more substrate, LR, bigger skimmer, bigger pump from the sump. Ahh those are just little things. Let me know what you decide. I dont know what sand I am gonna use for my 75 gallon. I have posted a few pics in the "Is this sand Ok" thread. Its a sand I found at K-mart last night - dunno if it will work or not.
check it out and see what you think.
Thanks
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...5&page=2&pp=50

N

nluchau

here is the current state of my stand.
well add the side panels on the sides and you have the full picture
annanymous,
looking real good. A question for you though. Are you having a sump. If so will it fit in the stand. For a 90 gal I would assume you would want at least a 29 gallon sump. doesn't look like it would fit in there but maybe I am wrong or perhaps you are not going with a sump. I am going to use a fluval for a while but I have enough room to add a 29 gallon sump when its time.
All in all yours looks really good - sturdy I bet too.
Nick

annanymous

i am putting a 30 gal tank as a fuge, that will host a return pump, and an external skimmer. though i might have a slight size probem with choosing a skimmer. im thinking of making a small shelf on the inside to put the skimmer a bit up, that way i can fit in asm-g3 which is 11x12.
the inside space i have is : 40x13 1/2x 27
the 30 gal is 36x13x18
i actualy made a big mistake of not listening to squid and makinf my stand based on what tank i want to put inside, not outside. i would love to havea 55 there inside.

N

nluchau

Sounds like a plan - You'll have to make it work I guess.
Nick

N

nluchau

Heres the latest update. Finally got the stand in the house and in place with the tank on the stand. Here are a few pics

bigtyguyy

nluchau the stand looks great so far! mine still looks the same! i Haven't decided on the sides yet and molding but i have some good ideas now! I will post some pics once i get the sides on her and this project gets rollen again! LOL

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by bigtyguyy
nluchau the stand looks great so far! mine still looks the same! i Haven't decided on the sides yet and molding but i have some good ideas now! I will post some pics once i get the sides on her and this project gets rollen again! LOL
I am glad to give you some ideas from mine. Last night I put 80lbs of Carib Aragonite sand and filled it up with water - gosh that was a chore lugging about 15 - 5 gallon buckets full of water. I also hooked up the fluval 404 to see if it would clear it. So far as of this morning its getting better but not fast. Oh well - I will give it a couple more days and then it should be fine. Got the temp up to 79 already. woohoo.
Keep me posted bigtyguyy with your updates
Nick

N

nluchau

Here are a couple current pictures I took of the tank with water and sand in it.

N

nluchau

Day 2 - Water is still clearing up. Here is a pic, Still looks about the same as yesterday. hmm. Anyway to speed up this process. Should I kill the fluval - would that work? Or just let it run?
Thanks,
Nick

N

nluchau

Day 4 of tank being filled - you can really tell the difference huh? If anyone has any advice for me of what I may be doing wrong please let me know. I have only started one other SW tank and it was a 29 - this is the biggest I have worked with. I am also gonna put a black background on tank too.