75 Gallon Stand

N

nluchau

Should I be leaving the lights on or when should I start with the lights? Thanks

O

oceangrl11

Do you know what the dimesions for your stand were? I want to build a stand and i LOVE the one that you made.
Also it looks like you used something larger than 2x4 on the top and bottom of the stand. is this a 2x8?
One more question :) Did you set your tank DOWN into the stand? It does not look like it is sitting on top. If you could let me know that would be awesome :)

O

oceangrl11

Originally Posted by nluchau
Should I be leaving the lights on or when should I start with the lights? Thanks
Well what exactly is your question? What do you think you are doing wrong? the tank looks like it is clearing up to me. So far as the lights go....as long as you do not have any bacteria in the tank yet i think that lights are ok, but once you get things in there you will probably have to get a scedule for the lights. It will make a lot of algae grow on the sand/ tank if you do not. (and not the good kind of algae)

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by oceangrl11
Well what exactly is your question? What do you think you are doing wrong? the tank looks like it is clearing up to me. So far as the lights go....as long as you do not have any bacteria in the tank yet i think that lights are ok, but once you get things in there you will probably have to get a scedule for the lights. It will make a lot of algae grow on the sand/ tank if you do not. (and not the good kind of algae)
Thanks for the reply. My main question is when should I start with the light schedule? Sorry I was not making any sense. I will be adding cured LR this week. Right now I run my current light in my 29 gallon from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. But yes I can't wait for the bad algae to overrun my clean tank. Its all good right?
As For little_d - I havent seen him around much. He hasn't visited my thread in a while. Good luck finding him, hence the name "little" _d

O

oceangrl11

Well if you are going to be putting in LR this week i would definitly search the threads on this site for 'lighting schedules.' You probably do not want to leave on the lights all day or you really will have a horrible algae problem. Having them on for a few hours will be sufficient. But you really should make a schedule as soon as you put in the LR b/c it will introduce your bacteria into the water :)
As for little_d :( Oh well. I guess I will catch up with him/her eventually.
Hope this helps :)

acrylic51

With nothing in the tank at the present you don't need the lights on. Are you going to be using uncured or cured live rock?

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by acrylic51
With nothing in the tank at the present you don't need the lights on. Are you going to be using uncured or cured live rock?

Cured Rock. Another question is how do I get the scum off the surface of the water? It must be from the sand I put in there. I have 1 power head going right now up close to the surface so there is a ripple. Any ideas

acrylic51

Does the "scum" look like an oily hazy film on the top of the water??? You might try increasing water flow with another power head or you could try to syphon that bit out of the tank and see if it develops again....

N

nluchau

Does the "scum" look like an oily hazy film on the top of the water??? You might try increasing water flow with another power head or you could try to syphon that bit out of the tank and see if it develops again....

Yes its like a hazy scum on the surface. I do have another maxijet 1200 I can throw in there

N

nluchau

I put in about 40 lbs of LR today. Check out the pics. I will be adding about 50 more lbs. Eventually I will get more though.
Let me know what you all think

O

oceangrl11

Nice! Very nice. I am working on some diy live rock this week. I will post pics to let you see what i come up with or whether or not it is successful. Currently i think i might have 40 lb. LR in my tank. It is doing pretty good. I really like the lights that you have on your 75. Did you get rid of that scum yet? It took my tank several days of circulation to get rid of the stuff....maybe urs is different.

O

oceangrl11

BTW. how did yo u get that close up of your LR? it looks like the camera is in the water?

acrylic51

Looks pretty good!!!!!! :happyfish If your still getting the scum on the top of the water like before try to increase water flow the other power head just might be enough to do it

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by oceangrl11
BTW. how did yo u get that close up of your LR? it looks like the camera is in the water?
Thank you for the comments - I am still dealing with that scum on the surface - not as bad though. I need to add that second power head soon too.
As for the pic - I just took one from the outside of the tank. I didn't do anything fancy.
But yes I agree it looks as though the camera is in the tank. cool

N

nluchau

Looks pretty good!!!!!! :happyfish If your still getting the scum on the top of the water like before try to increase water flow the other power head just might be enough to do it

I will add it probably tonight or tomorrow. Can't wait to get fish in there

N

nluchau

Looks good to me. Just make sure the top is 100% level. That was my main goal. I can always shim the stand. I put a thin piece of foam underneath the tank also, just in case.

annanymous

i was thinking of doing that too. wasn't sure how thick it should be [ 3/4, 1/2 or 1"]
my main problem is the floor. my stand is basicly level, but my floor is so not flat. i dont know what to do about it