75 Gallon Stand

N

nluchau

I did not test for phosphates but I do have a polyfilter in the canister. Would this help phosphates?
water parameters
Salinity 1.023
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5
PH = 8.2
Also when can I add my skimmer?
Thanks

N

nluchau

I wanted to share a couple more pictures from tonight with actinics on.
1st w/o flash
2nd w/ flash

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by DSkidmore
If your cycle is finished, it's a fine time to start skimming.
Cool I will have to hook it up tomorrow morning. Thanks DSkidmore for your advice

O

oceangrl11

Nluchau:
Cool. I haven't seen your tank in a while. Coming along nicely. I wouldn't worry about the diatoms either, they will go away on their own 'specially if you have a clean-up crew :) I just put a nice crew in my 75 10 blue hermit, 10 red hermit, 10 astrea turbo's and 3 emerald crabs along with 4 peppermint shrimp. They (the shrimp) are eating away at the aiptasia! hurray :joy: Although the larger of the peppermint shrimp took over my clowns conch that they love to be in, they are not very happy with him. Oh well. I am still working on DIY LR and i cannot wait til its done, i'll show you some pics when i put it in. BTW. My trates are still really high, any ideas how to get them down? Its been more than 6 weeks since i started the tank....

N

nluchau

Oceangrl,
How often do you do water changes? By the way what are the Nitrates at?
They can be deadly to inverts at a high range.
A few things you can do to reduce Nitrates
1. Large water changes
2. Nitrate removal Filter (polyfilter)
Recommendations for marine tanks range from 10 to 40ppm nitrate ion for
fish-only tanks and 5 to 10ppm nitrate ion for reef systems. Many fish-only
tanks run at much higher levels, sometimes with no ill effects. The most
desirable amount is an immeasurable amount.
Nitrate removal filter media will work to some extent, but larger water changes will be the most effective solution. It will take one a week, of about 50%, over a period of four weeks to bring the nitrate levels down. Doing this in combination with the nitrate removal media in a canister or power filter will provide the best results. Both Kent Marine and Seachem make excellent nitrate removal filter media.
Good luck with the trates.
Nick

N

nluchau

I added my skimmer on this morning.
This is the collection cup after 5 min of use. I see its working well so far
Also a picture of the dreaded brown diatoms.

N

nluchau

Ok maybe this is a stupid question but how do I calculate my turnover rate
I have 2 maxijet 1200 ph's (295 gal/hr)
Seaclone 100 (295 gal/hr) - its actually another maxijet 1200 pump.
Fluval 404 (340 gal/hr)
So I have a total of 1225 gal/hr (I have a 75 gallon aquarium)
If my calculations are correct it's turning over 16 times in 1 hr.
I was never very good at math.
Thanks in advance

O

oceangrl11

Originally Posted by nluchau
Oceangrl,
How often do you do water changes? By the way what are the Nitrates at?
They can be deadly to inverts at a high range.
A few things you can do to reduce Nitrates
1. Large water changes
2. Nitrate removal Filter (polyfilter)
Recommendations for marine tanks range from 10 to 40ppm nitrate ion for
fish-only tanks and 5 to 10ppm nitrate ion for reef systems. Many fish-only
tanks run at much higher levels, sometimes with no ill effects. The most
desirable amount is an immeasurable amount.
Nitrate removal filter media will work to some extent, but larger water changes will be the most effective solution. It will take one a week, of about 50%, over a period of four weeks to bring the nitrate levels down. Doing this in combination with the nitrate removal media in a canister or power filter will provide the best results. Both Kent Marine and Seachem make excellent nitrate removal filter media.
Good luck with the trates.
Nick
I have a pretty DSB would this cause high trates?

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by oceangrl11
I have a pretty DSB would this cause high trates?

I dont think this would be the root of your high nitrates. Are you talking about 4 or so inches? The only way I have heard of DSB's causing an issue with Nitrates is if they are disturbed. For example you moving everything from your 75 into 125. If you think your DSB could be a problem you should get some cerith or nassarius snails that burrow in the sand. This will keep the Sand Bed clean and oxygenate it. I have heard of DSB crashes though.
What are your Nitrates at currently?
What I would suggest is a 10 gallon water change at the beginning of this week and a 10 gallon water change at the end. Also what kind of filter media do you use. Is it dirty? This will cause Trates.
Nick

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by annanymous
i see cycleis coming along nicely :jumping: ...wish i had mine going already

Annanymous,
Yes, my cycle is complete. I added hermits and snails last week. Just debating when I should add my livestock from my 29 gallon. I am thinking this weekend.
When do you expect to fill yours with water?

annanymous

well i got already bout 10g in it..but now i have to fix up my overflow [make 'em the same height] and then i will completely fill it up...as fast as my RO/DI unit can filter the water...lol

N

nluchau

Got any recent pics you can share. You need a picture with 10 gallons, 20 gallons, 40 gallons, and 90 gallons. no j/k.
Can't wait to see some full tank shots

N

nluchau

Tonight was the big move night. Seemed to of went well even though it was only 4 feet away. My sixline was the last to go in and he is no where to be found so far. Hopefully tomorrow he will show up. The 2 chromis a hesitant of swimming anywhere but the Yellow Tang has checked the whole thing out. I will take some pictures tomorrow and share.
Nick

O

oceangrl11

nluchau:
Well the trates are at 50 !!!
I did a 20 gal water change last Mon and i will do another one tomorrow or monday. It did not decrease the trates at all. I also changed the filter 'pad' for the wet dry. The pad sits inbetween the return and the bio balls on a piece of plexiglass with holes in it. I have been monitoring it regularly and changing it every other day to keep it from being 'brown' at all. However the trates still have not come down at all :mad: One of my cromis died last week, my heart was broken b/c i have had him for over a year. the sand is not being disturbed really at all. I think its total depth might be like 3 inches? maybe 4 at the most. Its funny b/c the trites and the Ammonia are both at 0 but the trates are at 50. they were at 10 for about a week and then spiked up. (didn't help with the cromis dead either). i am just going to keep doing water changes about 10-20 gal until they come down. they have to die eventually :) i will have to get some of those snails you were talking about. i did not know they burrowed in the sand. that is great :) ( i also decreased feeding to once per day with very little)

daytonaree

nluchau:
Well the trates are at 50 !!!
I did a 20 gal water change last Mon and i will do another one tomorrow or monday. It did not decrease the trates at all. I also changed the filter 'pad' for the wet dry. The pad sits inbetween the return and the bio balls on a piece of plexiglass with holes in it. I have been monitoring it regularly and changing it every other day to keep it from being 'brown' at all. However the trates still have not come down at all :mad: One of my cromis died last week, my heart was broken b/c i have had him for over a year. the sand is not being disturbed really at all. I think its total depth might be like 3 inches? maybe 4 at the most. Its funny b/c the trites and the Ammonia are both at 0 but the trates are at 50. they were at 10 for about a week and then spiked up. (didn't help with the cromis dead either). i am just going to keep doing water changes about 10-20 gal until they come down. they have to die eventually :) i will have to get some of those snails you were talking about. i did not know they burrowed in the sand. that is great :) ( i also decreased feeding to once per day with very little)

Just a couple thoughts, :thinking: 1st the snails will only stir up detrius that is buried in the sand, 2nd a 2" depth is more than adequite and anything deeper only traps traits and keeps them high. Using a phosphate sponge and nitrate sponge, phosguard helps a great deal. Place them in the higher h2o leveled area of your sump. Use both for three days then test your h2o. At the same time, using a sufficient sized container remove enough sand to bring your tank depth closer to approx. 2" . The sand is trapping detrius/ uneaten food etc.. which in return is maintaining your trait levels. Keep enough h2o in the container to be able to run a powerhead to keep it circulating. ( Saving this sand is so that if my idea does not help it will give you the option to put it back without purchasing new) On day three remove the nitrate sponge or both if your levels r good. If not, leaving the phosguard in test daily and remove when your levels a down. :notsure: I don't know all your dynamics, what you're running or anything but really do hope you will try this. My husband and I helped run a saltwater store and have been saltwater hobbiest for over 10 years. We have just about did it all both wrong and right, trial and error of our own and by others. Getting the snails would be okay with all of this but I think that the horseshoe crabs stir the sand better and they too like detrius.
:yes: :D

N

nluchau

Well as of this morning I was able to spot all my fish. The six line was the last to appear from his vanishing act.
I have a few pictures to share also as promised

dskidmore

Its funny b/c the trites and the Ammonia are both at 0 but the trates are at 50. they were at 10 for about a week and then spiked up. ...i am just going to keep doing water changes about 10-20 gal until they come down...i also decreased feeding to once per day with very little)
Not all that odd, the readings you see mean you have an efficient biofilter. Nitrate is the end product, that will not go down without some means of removal. Water changes, marco/xenia growth, and denitrification bacteria are the best ways to remove it. (Chemical materials can also be used, but is long term more expensive.) the 10% water change per week is meant to maintain levels, and will lower them only slowly. Do extra water changes if you want to drive your trates down faster. Decreasing the feedings is a good idea. Study up on the critters you have and find out what thier optimum feeding schedule is. Generosity may not be a long term benifit to them, so tailor feedings to the actual need.
Some people claim bioballs create nitrates. Nitrifying bacteria are areobic, and grow great in a wet/dry. Denitrifying bacteria are anerobic, and grow in the depths of your live rock. If you decide to take the bioballs out, only remove about 1/4 per week, so the bacteria population on the rock can grow to catch the extra load.