Im currently building a 75 gallon tank stand out of 2x4's
==============================
= 1 = = 4 = 5 = = 7 =
= = = = = = =
= = = = = = =
= = = = = = =
= 2 = = 3 = 6 = = 8 =
==============================
Im using 2x4's for the legs im going to have 8 legs inbetween each of these slots.Would this be good enough to hold the 75 gallon?Im also going to have plywood on the outside of it 1/2" would that also make this stronger?I didnt use screws for the legs i used 3" Lag bolts I thought This Would Be Stronger will it be?
Please Help,
Logan

tigerhawk

I build a stand for my 75 gallon and a 55 gallon before that. I used 2x4s also. I only used 6 verticle 2x4s. I built the base and top out of 2x4's and then placed 4 vertical 2x4s near each corner (in-set these a little so the plywood and doors would line up with the base and top of the stand) and one each on the middle in the front and middle in the back. I have currently 60lbs of lr in the tank and it has been up and running for almost 4 months without a problem. I also used plywood exterior for the most part. The back is open and the doors I am going to made after placing a fuge/sump below.
I used 3 or 31/2 inch wood screws for the most part on the structural part (2x4s) placing 3 at each spot.
I purchased the tank at ***** during a dollar a gallon sale. Purchased the tank only. The stand they sold with the tank was made of particle board and did not appear to be nearly as well put together as mine or the one you are planning to build.
Obviously the more support the better but I would think that you could get away with 6 vertical 2x4s rather than 8 if you want more access ability for below the tank (ie adding a fuge later or whatever.

logan15

thanks thats what i was thinking earlier it now has a top on it and a full back and sides complete with a 18" Flourscent

tigerhawk

I thought about mounting a light inside of mine also (which I think is what you are talking about) but my neighbor talked me out of it. I knew I shouldn't have listed to him. It looks great. Are you going to plywood and paint it or are you going to do the outside of it in oak or something?

dreeves

What kind of plywood did you use for the shell? Some 1/4 in oak would be nice over the frame...some corner straps running down the corners to hide the edge...

tigerhawk

I think I used birch plywood (one side) for the sides 1/4 inch. I did use oak corner bead (or whatever it is called) to hide the seams. I used 3/4 plywood for doors, basically. They sell it with different grade levels on each side. I bought a better grade on one side so it wouldn't show as many inperfections. I don't mind sanding and filling but I am aways in a rush so I am usually lax in that area. Mine is just sealed and painted black.