75g w/ half tank lighting and 3 fuzzies

superh

I've got everything together now. 75g with 150w MH on one side and darkness on the other for the lions. I have 2 females and a male fuzzy too, hard to tell though as the one I believe to be male is kind of small at this point. Only thing I need to do now is add a little more LR and maybe stand up some of my current pieces to provide more structure. Also need to paint or do something to the back of the tank.

v-lioness

Looking very nice, I think you will be happy with this group, I would assume you have only one male, males can really go at it fighting and normally it would happen right away.
Since you have the lighting on 1/2 the tank, does this mean corals? Half reef, half FOWLR, I like that idea ......
How big are the lions?
All on Frozen?
Kaye

superh

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
Looking very nice, I think you will be happy with this group, I would assume you have only one male, males can really go at it fighting and normally it would happen right away.
yes, i THINK that one is a male....he's really young and already has 6 stripes...everyone seems to be avoiding each other at this point

Since you have the lighting on 1/2 the tank, does this mean corals? Half reef, half FOWLR, I like that idea ......
How big are the lions?
All on Frozen?
Kaye
yes, here's a new pic with readjusted LR where you can see the big zoo frag...there are 2 smaller frags near the top that aren't visible...i'm also keeping a small patch of algae in the tank to help with nitrates
i'll take individual pics of the lions soon...1 i've had for about a year and she's on frozen...other 2 i just got yesterday and are still getting used to their new environment...i'm going to pick up some ghost shrimp today to help encourage them

superh

here is the one i believe to be a male (~1.5-2")...if anyone wants to offer an opinion please do

superh

this is the other new lion...apparently she has been housed with triggers or puffers as her fins look nipped and the bottom part of her body near the tail looks like it has been eaten on
...i'll hopefully have her in excellent health soon

v-lioness

I want to say male but, Geez, it is hard to tell, females have 5 - 6, males 6 - 10 ..... :notsure: It is hard to tell as this point, F. Marini states "Adult male Dwarf fuzzy lions are readily identified by having a larger head, longer pectoral fins (the fin tips reach past the caudal peduncle)" only time may tell on that one.
I know my small male was easy, the stripe were there..... I see the one, thank goodness you have her now, hope she heals pretty quick.
Kaye

superh

I want to say male but, Geez, it is hard to tell, females have 5 - 6, males 6 - 10 ..... :notsure: It is hard to tell as this point, F. Marini states "Adult male Dwarf fuzzy lions are readily identified by having a larger head, longer pectoral fins (the fin tips reach past the caudal peduncle)" only time may tell on that one.
I know my small male was easy, the stripe were there
thanks for the information, the longer pectoral fin is something i never thought about...after examining it and the stripes more closely i'm convinced i have 3 females of dramatically different lineages...i'll try to trade one out whenever i can find one that is more obviously a male...don't see them too often though

v-lioness

What about if you wait and see, I don't think the males develop the longer pectoral fins until they are adults, I know they don't develop the wider heads until they reach adulthood or hold the three for now and if you have 3 females add a male later?
Do you think your tank can handle 4 dwarfs?
Kaye

superh

What about if you wait and see, I don't think the males develop the longer pectoral fins until they are adults, I know they don't develop the wider heads until they reach adulthood or hold the three for now and if you have 3 females add a male later?
Do you think your tank can handle 4 dwarfs?
Kaye
yeah that would be kinda rash to trade so soon...i will observe their behavior some more over the next few weeks and see what happens as they get settled into the new environment
if i had more LR a 4th may be possible

superh

I see the one, thank goodness you have her now, hope she heals pretty quick.
i noticed her perching upside down and breathing rapidly last night, and her underside near the tail looked really rough and infected...her color was also pale, but she looked like that since she arrived...she passed sometime in the early morning
the other new fuzzy dwarf is healthy, and is becoming more active

jon321

Just out of curiosity, which side of the tank do the lions seem to spend most of their time?
Jon

v-lioness

Very sorry to hear that she passed,
she looked bad but not extremely bad, I am surprised, normally I would recommend you quarantine and treat but sometimes the stress is to much.
I had a male red, I added a eel (big mistake) he was beat up over night by this eel, it looked about the same type of damage, but he pulled through, which I was luck. That male red was the first thing I thought of looking at her yesterday.
Again sorry for your loss,
Kaye

superh

Originally Posted by Jon321
Just out of curiosity, which side of the tank do the lions seem to spend most of their time?
Jon
they split their time, with most of it being under the lighted part, perching in the shadows made by the LR...i need to add more LR to the darker side though...only ~50lbs total right now

superh

Very sorry to hear that she passed,
she looked bad but not extremely bad, I am surprised, normally I would recommend you quarantine and treat but sometimes the stress is to much.
I had a male red, I added a eel (big mistake) he was beat up over night by this eel, it looked about the same type of damage, but he pulled through, which I was luck. That male red was the first thing I thought of looking at her yesterday.
Again sorry for your loss,
Kaye
yes very sad to lose my first fish after over a year in the hobby...when she began perching upside down i could see there was more damage than i had first noticed