75g

hunt

My brother has a 75g tank with a miniatus grouper in it. We are trying to decide weather to get rid of the tank or not because its pretty neglected. Pretty much the only matinence is done by me when i fell its in need of it. He feeds it some silversides a few times a week and im usually stuck keeping up with top offs and cleaning the algea off the walls. Its not in terrible condition but the water never really gets changed and the filters dont either. Basically the problem is he cant afford (and i dont think he wants to take care of it really) his 75g tank, and i cant afford it and my 29g together. So theres a few options, he'll buy the filters and salt (ect.) and i will do the water changes change the filters feed the fish ect. Or we can out some rocks/sand from his tank into mine and put his skimmer, and canister filter on mine and sell the rest.
What do you think?

jaxfishgirl

definitely get rid of it!! that grouper is supposed to be in a 125+ gallon tank. It can easily grow over a foot long. it's not fair to keep it in that small tank especially when it's not being properly taken care of.

hunt

yeah, we are prabably getting rid of the grouper (hes only 6-7in now). But after that were deciding weather to sell the tank, or make it a community fish only tank.

novahobbies

What about swapping the tanks? I got the impression that you live in different places, yes? If he's bored with the 75, and you can't afford both (God knows I know that feeling) maybe you could take the 75 and either sell off the 29 or let him re-start the 29 as a new tank. Just a thought....

flower

I'm not sure how to vote, I would keep the 75g and sell the smaller tank or keep it as the QT. You are asking if you should sell the 75g or share it. If brother doesn't want it..take it over. my .02

hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/379811/75g#post_3304766

I'm not sure how to vote, I would keep the 75g and sell the smaller tank or keep it as the QT. You are asking if you should sell the 75g or share it. If brother doesn't want it..take it over. my .02
thats crossed my mind as well, but i have my btas and coral in the 29g with a pc light as long as the tank. Niether one of us has the money for a good enough light to fit the 75g (which has some kind florescent light, i know it can keep a kenya tree alive but im not seeing much growth and i wouldnt want to risk anything else), but we have the money to keep it up and running.

oceankid

If you think you're neglecting it and you can't do the maintenance anymore, then you have to get rid of it

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt http:///forum/thread/379811/75g#post_3304827
thats crossed my mind as well, but i have my btas and coral in the 29g with a pc light as long as the tank. Niether one of us has the money for a good enough light to fit the 75g (which has some kind florescent light, i know it can keep a kenya tree alive but im not seeing much growth and i wouldnt want to risk anything else), but we have the money to keep it up and running.

Will your LFS trade you some mushrooms for the kenya? Regular fish lights can keep coral, just not the light needy ones. Mushrooms are beautiful, I think you MIGHT
be able to keep zoa too, I'm not sure on those...I also read that Green Star polyps can make it under fish only lights.

I would go for the 75g and swap out the lights when I could. You also might be able to trade the 29g and the lights you have with it for a PC light that would fit the 75g. You have lots of options.

hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/379811/75g#post_3305505

Will your LFS trade you some mushrooms for the kenya? Regular fish lights can keep coral, just not the light needy ones. Mushrooms are beautiful, I think you MIGHT
be able to keep zoa too, I'm not sure on those...I also read that Green Star polyps can make it under fish only lights.

I would go for the 75g and swap out the lights when I could. You also might be able to trade the 29g and the lights you have with it for a PC light that would fit the 75g. You have lots of options.

I dont think they'll do that. When i took my valentini puffer in, they wouldnt even give me a credit to the store, but i had to get rid of the fish so i had no other option (even though it is a fairly cheap fish).

hunt

wow, i have no recollection of this, but i was going through some pictures and found a harrible picture of this tank. It had a V. lion, a pinktail trigger, a blue throught trigger, a undulated trigger, and a marine beta in the75g at the same time. wow, what was he thinking.