760w of VHO -vs- 480w of T-5 whats better

grubsnaek

i have 760w of VHO and just found out that T-5 are an upgrade so i found a retro kit that is 6X80w=480w. i have and will maintain only softies and LPS. is the T5 worth the jump with such a wattage cut.

reefraff

Ahhhh, The VHO Actinics are the best thing out there. If you are running Ice Cap ballasts you can run T5's on them. Don't mess wih the cheap T5 stuff.

wangotango

its not about the wattage. think about it, 400w of powercompact is not even comparable to 400w of metal halide. T5 would be a wise way to go. they run cooler, last longer, and depending on the setup can give you equal if not greater PAR than a halide setup.
-Justin

letsgodontwait

Haha Justin how much do you get paid to endorse the T5's. Just to let you know, I went out today and bought a T5 setup to replace my vho flourecent, and they're great. The anemone and coral love them. Thanks buddy! BTW the guy at the lfs told me that I can only keep soft corals like leather with them, shows how much he knows, he wanted me to go for the MH so he made a little more cheese.

05xrunner

Originally Posted by reefraff
Ahhhh, The VHO Actinics are the best thing out there. If you are running Ice Cap ballasts you can run T5's on them. Don't mess wih the cheap T5 stuff.
Do you live in a cave..Do you even know how well T5Ho are

wangotango

Originally Posted by LetsGoDontWait
Haha Justin how much do you get paid to endorse the T5's. Just to let you know, I went out today and bought a T5 setup to replace my vho flourecent, and they're great. The anemone and coral love them. Thanks buddy! BTW the guy at the lfs told me that I can only keep soft corals like leather with them, shows how much he knows, he wanted me to go for the MH so he made a little more cheese.
you're right, it seems like every other post i make is about T5 and telling people to switch to them. i promise i dont work for aquactinics
. what fixture did you buy?
-Justin

zeroc

I still can't figure this out. So are you people saying that getting a 4x54w T-5 setup would give me more light then 4x110w VHO?

wangotango

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
so i might go with the 6X80 T-5 setup. its 70"long with 8-1w LED lunar lights. hows that sound.
who makes it? as long as it has individual reflectors it should be pretty good.
-Justin

wangotango

Originally Posted by ZeroC
I still can't figure this out. So are you people saying that getting a 4x54w T-5 setup would give me more light then 4x110w VHO?
yes, as long as each bulb has its own reflector. remember its not about the wattage.
-Justin

letsgodontwait

Originally Posted by WangoTango
you're right, it seems like every other post i make is about T5 and telling people to switch to them. i promise i dont work for aquactinics
. what fixture did you buy?
-Justin
Current Nova Extreme 24" 4x24W

zeroc

This is still blowing my mind, does anyone have some numbers? Also with the Nova Extreme they don't have reflectors for each bulb. I mean if all this stuff is true i'm all for getting a 4x54 Nova Extreme fixture. Could i keep clams and SPS under this? or is that not enough?

05xrunner

go for the TEK light, or aquatinics. Those are the best fixtures to get.
Also Hellolights makes a copy of the TEK and sells it under their name for almost half the price. Individual reflectors and all.

stanlalee

anyway you look at it its friverlous to uprgade. The wattage difference is irrelevant but the gain from doing this is virtually nothing. Softies and LPS grow extremely well under VHO (and even SPS if set up properly) and although T5 has the efficiency and penetration advantage VHO still have the best actinic color rendition (unless something has changed with the availability of T5 actinic bulbs). Unless there is a space issue (cant fit enough VHO for the amount of power you need which obviously isn't the case here) or a heat issue (want to use T5 to get like performance using much less wattage) you must have something better to spend your money on. VHO are often dismissed now they are far superior to power compact in performance. 760w to 480w from pc to T5 is a definate upgrade. 760w to 480w VHO to T5 is mostly just changing to something different or not much different than going from 760w VHO to 3 175w SE MH, not as much of an upgrade as you think you are doing even if you can X and Y it to be superior.

grubsnaek

thanx thats what i was asking is it worth the jump. if my current set up is fine for softies and LPS than i do not want to spend 500-600$ for nothing.
Stanlalee that helped very much. heat is some what of an issue but i wanted to install two fans in the canopy. then i came across about 4 threads on the same page about T-5s.
but if its a waste of money to go to t-5 then i dont want to spend the money.