$800 to spend, what to buy?

fatcats

Hey i got about $800 from my summer job and i want to spend it on my 95 saltwater
I dont know which is better to get for the tank
ill get both eventually but which is better to get first
Either a sump/refugium and all the other stuff that i need for it
or
Current USA 48 inch Outer Orbit 2x150w 10K HQI-MH w/ 4x54W T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights also any advice on this system.
Thanks

crimzy

Originally Posted by fatcats
http:///forum/post/2709578
Hey i got about $800 from my summer job and i want to spend it on my 95 saltwater
I dont know which is better to get for the tank
ill get both eventually but which is better to get first
Either a sump/refugium and all the other stuff that i need for it
or
Current USA 48 inch Outer Orbit 2x150w 10K HQI-MH w/ 4x54W T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights also any advice on this system.
Thanks
I'd say to buy the lights. A sump/refugium is pretty easy and inexpensive to make yourself. JMO.

reef noob

I made about that much on my summer job.
im gonna spend it on livestock, manitence(salt, new bulbs), and an ro/di unit.
oh ya
and about 350 on a 125 freshwater tank.

C

cmaxwell39

If you look around you might be able to find the light system used. Check the classifieds on here or that big

[hr]
site. If you could get a good deal on the lights you might have enough money to do both. A sump is not that expensive to make yourself and the rest of the equipment is not terrible either. Just a thought.
If you were just going to do one, I think I would do the lights assuming that you have a system that you don't have any trouble keeping stable. If you fight the stability of the system, I think I would do the sump/fuge first as the extra water volume and the place to grow macro algae is going to add some stability to the overall system. I am sure others will have other opinions, these are just mine.

fatcats

oh wow thats a perty fish
sad story though
anyhoo i think i will shop around for used lighting systems
is buying a light that is like 1 year old or so a good idea or am i just get someone elses problems

stdreb27

I purchased the 36" version of that and am happy. Looking back I'm almost wishing I'd made a canopy and retrofit it with t-5's and 150 watt MH's but not quite.

C

cmaxwell39

When buying used equipment, you want to make sure that you are not buying some off brand that no one knows anything about, but if it is a good quality peice of equipment to start with then you should be fine. You are always taking a little bit of a risk, but most of the time people are honest with you. At least that has been my experience. HTH.

stdreb27

Personally I wouldn't buy something like that used, unless I could inspect it first, take it apart and look at everything before I handed over the money.

N

nemo_66

if you do buy a used light, chances are your going to have to replace the bulbs.