90 Gal Skimmer

upyurzbudy

HEY EVERYONE -
I JUST GOT MY NEW TANK 90 GAL OCEANIC BOWFRONT AND I WAS LOOKING INTO A NEW SKIMMER I WAS LOOKING AT THE ASM AND THE AQUAC DOES ANYONE HAVE ADVICE ON A SKIMMER IN THE PRICE RANG OF 500 OR 600 BUCKS ?

T

tizzo

I have an AquaC Remora Pro and I love it!! I also have a 90 gal (only not a bowfront:D )
Judging from the price you stated, it appears your looking to get one from the LFS. Buy online!! Buy all your equipment and dry goods online, you will save a bundle!!

A

andretti

Yeah, I have an AquaC Remora Pro as well; it's on my 125 and works great. NEVER NEVER NEVER buy things such as protein skimmers, pumps, powerheads, filters, etc from your lfs. Do research and you'll find you can save a minium of 30% and sometimes as much as 60-70% compared to your lfs. For example, one of the lfs I visit sells the Aquaclear 900 powerhead for $70, and online it's $25. Granted, you pay a few bucks for S/H, but it's no where near what you'd pay at the lfs.

sammiefish

in defense of the LFS... I suppose if you dont want a local fish store... then never never never buy from them...:sleepy:
I can say that I certainly dont buy everything from the LFS but I give them a chance every chance I get. By that I mean that I ask what they could charge for....???... If they are within a reasonable amount I give them my buisness... If they are WAY out of the ballpark then oh well.
My LFS will usually tell me up front... there are some items that they can be competitive on and others they just cant... Put them out of buisness and then tell me how much you will pay for a 75 or 125 gallon tank and stand on-line!! ... thats laughable...
things to consider... shipping, if there is a problem the LFS can usually help you more easily than an online site... etc etc etc..... and lastly... is it worth anything to you to be able to get something right away... like in an emergency...
so.... if you dont want a LFS.... go ahead and never, never, never buy from them.
(no I have no "interest" in any LFS.... nor do I think its bad to buy online... just wanted to bring up a reasonable point...no hard feelings I hope:D

ohiorn67

I have a 90 gallon tank only 2 months old and we are new to this and we purchased the remoraC pro....oh my gosh, it is fantastic!! virtually plug and play, easy set up...get the bubble eliminator box, well worth it. Noisy and some bubbles at first and then all of a sudden it is fantastc about 5 days later. Gets smelly gross stuff out of my tank and does a fantastic job. Paid 240.00 shipped ....online....would have cost me twice that at lfs.....good luck!

1911_guy

I agree with Andretti and Sammiefish.
I bought a few things such as powerheads at LFS, then saw it online for half the price.
41.99 each for Maxijet 900, online 16.99
MarineLab test kit 39.99, online $24
shipping isn't always that much either and in some cases can be waived
on the other hand, i appreciate the local shops...of course they can't compete with the whole world like a web-based company but they have to put food on the table too, ya know?
But so do i and if i can save literally hundreds of dollars on just one order via online, then i gotta cut out the LFS on that one.
Living in Alaska is great but having ANYTHING shipped is really expensive. when the online guys can STILL beat LFS prices after shipping, LFS needs to step it up in my opinion.
just my .02:)

acrylic51

I agree the online places are a great way to save a few bucks, but we still have to support are decent LFS!!!!! I doubt there is any online place that has better prices for salt than your LFS???? The shipping on that stuff is outrageous, so yes you still need your LFS for things! !!!!

drew2005

I got an MTC(Marine Technical Concepts) protein skimmer and it works great. Ive heard for several people its one of the best skimmers money can buy. Cost me around $350 with powerhead, air pump and all plumbing.

stone

>>doubt there is any online place that has better prices for salt than your LFS???? <<
Is that all you could come up with? That is kind of funny.
S