90 Gallon Reed Tank

sabandit

Hey guys, we just picked up a 90 gallon aquarium set up for a fantastic price. Since this is our first big tank that we would like to turn into a solid reef tank, we would like some suggestions on aqua-scaping, I'm guessing thhow you spell it... 48"L x 18.5"D x 25.5"T...

we have 3 x aqueon 950 and one aqueon 1250 circulation pump at our disposal, plus the return can be angled in lots of different ways. Ay ideas???

reefkprz

my suggestion is to get some legs for that light and raise it a couple inches then get rid of the glass tops to assist in gas exchange.
as for aqua-scaping that's some thing that's totally up to you and how you like it to look, there is no real "wrong way" to scape your tank.
what kind of sand bed are you planning on using ssb, dsb, or BB?

sabandit

Thanks for the advice on the glass top and lighting... we know there might not be a wrong way per se, but since this will be our first tank with corals...hopefully both hard and soft, we aren't sure about creating levels, and flow areas... we are going to use the "normal" live sand. We want a really happy healthy tank, and hopefully do so by skipping some rookie mistakes :) Thats why we are looking for some input.

mr. limpid

Flow; lighting; substrate; all depends on what type of corals you want to keep. There are corals which like a lot of flow and others who like sand beds, etc. I suggest you make a list of corals and fish, let people comment on the chooses. Then when you have your list set design the tank around there needs.

snakeblitz33

Wow, that is quite an investment!
I wish I had a standard 90. They can be such pretty tanks.
You are doing good so far, and I would listen to Mr. Limpid, he knows what he is talking about.

rickross23

Wow, that is quite an investment!
I wish I had a standard 90. They can be such pretty tanks.
You are doing good so far, and I would listen to Mr. Limpid, he knows what he is talking about. :t^:
Any tank can be a pretty tank!