90 gallon reef tell me what you think

hawk fish

this is my 90 gallon reef tank it is now 2 years old to the day(im a loser and remember the date)
175 lbs of live rock w/o all coral rock weight. have about 200 lbs of live sand. 2x150 watt hqi metal halide bulbs with 2x96 watt pc and 2x32 watt pc for sides of tank. have wet dry system up to 150 gallons and a protien skimmer up to 180 gallons. have ten gallon diy refuge(just started it). i have 13 fish that have been in there for at least 5 mounths each list:
valintini puffer-4 inches
copperband butterfly-3 inches
mandrein dragonette-3.5 inches(oldest fish almost 2 years old)
white cheeked tang-4 inches
bicolor blenny-2 inches
diamem dottyback-2 inches
fuzzy dwarf lion-2 inches
volitans lion fish-2 inches
percula clown-3 inches
scotts wrasse-3 inches
longnose hawk fish-2 inches
snowflake eel-10 inches
yellowtang-3 inches
have many corals as you can see in these picture please give me any thoughts on my tank as you want thanks here are some pics i have taken within the last few days...

miamireefr

Love the tank man... I to have a 90 and loving it... I like the fish minus the volatins simply because they get to big to fast... great fish but better suited in a larger tank... other than that definite big thumbs up.
my current fish are a 22" snow flake eel
blue throat trigger
gold striped maroon.
btw...from what i see pn the photos what happen to the yellow tang and the naso?

hawk fish

Originally Posted by MiamiReefr
Love the tank man... I to have a 90 and loving it... I like the fish minus the volatins simply because they get to big to fast... great fish but better suited in a larger tank... other than that definite big thumbs up.
my current fish are a 22" snow flake eel
blue throat trigger
gold striped maroon.
btw...from what i see pn the photos what happen to the yellow tang and the naso?

what do you mean?? i had a naso long time ago and the yellow tang is in some of the pics...or maby do you mean the white cheeked tang??(hes in some of the pics also..thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer:

miamireefr

sorry..i meant white cheeked.... well for both tangs... are they still in the sytem? I just ask because I dont see them in the list you posted.

ejensen

Sweet tank. You have the best of all worlds. You are able to keep aggesive fish and a reef tank. How are your nitrates and what do you do to keep it down. I am just converting to a reef tank from a aggresive tank and my nitrates were always very high. I just got them to 25ppm. Still need to get them down before I start adding corals.

hawk fish

i think mine are some where around 10 or so...i dont over feed i have gotten pretty good at seeing how much all of my fish can eat at one sitting...also 20 gallon water changes every 3 weeks helps...i really dont know i told the lfs how many fish i had in my reef and there jaw droped....they cant belive it either...all i can say is dont over feed and if you like to feed your fish then either get lots of crabs to eat extra or do more water changes......basicly just see what works for your system
thanks a lot for the reply i put most of my effort these days into my tank to make it look its best so i really appreciate it!!!!!!

puffer32

Darn hate threads like these. Reason being is now some 90 gal tank owners will read it and think they can do it it also. A bioload like this will not work for most people long term, and 5 months with some of these being added is short term success IMO. You have a beautiful tank, but i am really concerned here, sorry :scared:

hawk fish

i see your concern but also see that the fish that i added 5 months ago was my bicolor and my diamem dottyback (my friend took down his tank) i agree that you may think that you cant do it but its easer then you may think...im 16 years old and have been in this hobby for just over 2 years now and its not as hard as you think...the more fish i add the more i have to watch the levels of the tank (i am taking out 3 fish in about a month to go into my 55 that is now cycling)
thanks for the concern

teen

im supposed to be getting a 90 gallon in the near future.
minus all the live stock, how much did all the dry goods cost? meaning skimmer, lights, pumps, LR, heaters, plumbing?

hatessushi

Very very nice tank. I have a 90 and have a maroon clown, Kole tang, coral beauty, diamond goby, and a hawaiian Triggerfish.
My wife wanted me to get a lionfish but I told her it wouldn't work out well. She wants me to set up a new tank just for lionfish. I was afraid it would eat the other fish but I guess it could be done. I'm just not willing to try it. I will stay with the fish I have but jeeze your tank sure looks nice. I hope mine looks that nice in another 1.4 years.