90 gallon ?

I'm setting up a 90 gallon and I'm not sure what to do here... I want a megaflow overflow system with a sump, but a guy at the lfs just told me I can't drill holes in the bottom of the tank because it's tempered glass...so what do I do? He said drill them in the back of the tank, but where and how do I set up the plumbing? Can someone send me pics of their drilled tank/sump? I'd really appreciate it, thanks! Jessica

anubisxero

nm i just re-read the post. if the bottom is tempered, yeah most do the back, although i've never been a fan of tanks with drilled backs. =

trainfever

If the tank is new, then take it back and tell them you want a tank that is reef ready. The LFS is correct about not being able to drill the bottom of the tank.

anubisxero

Originally Posted by trainfever
If the tank is new, then take it back and tell them you want a tank that is reef ready. The LFS is correct about not being able to drill the bottom of the tank.
yeah the ones i've been looking at are the AGA reefready systems w/ megaflow overflow. Most places sell them pretty inexpensively.

vanos

IMO, I wouldn't take the chance and drill holes in a new tank, I'd be too afraid that I would crack it.

f14peter

Another option would be to get a HOB overflow, but I can't make a recommendation because I don't use one.
Tank sides can be drilled, there's some threads on the DIY forum about it. I believe it requires a particular type of drill bit. One problem is that the holes need to be fairly large, over 1" IIRC. I don't think bulkhead holes on the side near the bottom of the tank would be drastically different than holes in the bottom, maybe the flow might be reduced a bit.
You could also ask the LFS if they know any glass professionals that would drill it, or look in the phone book and call glass shops. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one that's done it before.
What ever you do if you go with drilling, I'd get ahold of the bulkheads first so you know exactly how large the holes need to be.
Of course, you'd then have to get a hold of the overflow itself and install it. I don't know if AGA sells them seperately.

I found it sold separarately, but the plumbing was such that it can only be hooked up to holes in the bottom... the lfs said they would drill the holes in the side for me and replace the tank if they broke it... I think I should get that in writing! I just am afraid of the glass breaking because we just got brand new expensive carpet and it would be a mess if anything happened :notsure:

wangotango

you could try a calfo overflow design where theres basically a trough along the back of the tank with teeth and the water drains out the back. but getting a hang on the back overflow would be the easiest.
-Justin

cam78

first, if they said they will replace it....DO IT. That is unheard of.
secondly, I bought a lifereef over flow and put it in my tank and realized that it looked ugly in a 46 gallon. i might be selling it, it is brand new I got it 2 days ago. I have decided tokeep this tank without a refuge and buy a 100 gallon tha is reef ready.

uberlink

Originally Posted by ShortBlondeRN
I found it sold separarately, but the plumbing was such that it can only be hooked up to holes in the bottom... the lfs said they would drill the holes in the side for me and replace the tank if they broke it... I think I should get that in writing! I just am afraid of the glass breaking because we just got brand new expensive carpet and it would be a mess if anything happened :notsure:
Definitely get that in writing!