911 Anemone

binhzino

Okay, I got a rose bubble tip anemone yesterday. It looks so deflated like my maroon clownfish is beating the heck out of it. Its deflated and the clownfish still is nestling in it. Is it because its in a new tank? Hungry? Or is this just natural? I don't want to lose this anemone. Help! I will post pics as soon as I find the USB cord.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think that is natural. But clowns can harass the anemone literally to death. How is your lighting in the tank?
I'll move you on over to the anemone/clownfish forum for some more input.

sula

My maroon did the same thing - I wasn't sure whether the anemone was just deflated as part of acclimating to the tank or if it was unhappy about all the clownfish "attention". What I did was make a little "cage" out of eggcrate to enclose the anemone and keep the clown out for a while. It gave the anemone some time to adjust by itself. When it looked better, I removed the cage. The clown was pretty PO'd for a while, but it was worth it to have a happy anemone....

binhzino

Originally Posted by Sula
My maroon did the same thing - I wasn't sure whether the anemone was just deflated as part of acclimating to the tank or if it was unhappy about all the clownfish "attention". What I did was make a little "cage" out of eggcrate to enclose the anemone and keep the clown out for a while. It gave the anemone some time to adjust by itself. When it looked better, I removed the cage. The clown was pretty PO'd for a while, but it was worth it to have a happy anemone....
I did that last night out of a plastic container and drilled holes in it. The anemone blossomed but when I removed it, it deflated again. This morning its still the same, sitting on the gravel with its mouth open. What should I do?

sula

it's on the gravel? like on the bottom? usually they prefer to plant themselves into a crevice in your rocks.

binhzino

Originally Posted by Sula
it's on the gravel? like on the bottom? usually they prefer to plant themselves into a crevice in your rocks.
Well I just took it out of the container and placed it on the live rock but it wouldnt plant itself so it just fell on the crushed coral and I left it there. I checked my water parameters on Thurs when I bought the anemone.
pH: 8.2
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

sula

Originally Posted by Binhzino
Well I just took it out of the container and placed it on the live rock but it wouldnt plant itself so it just fell on the crushed coral and I left it there.
I hope you acclimated....
here is what I would do: either place the anemone back up on the rocks and then use the cage again to keep the clownfish away for a while, or, use the cage first to get him happy, then put him on the rocks, still with cage.