A clam on a clam....

K

karnivor

I got my first clam today he's about 4 -5 inches and after i got him home and into my tank he's all opened up already and looking good, but i noticed something moving on the side of the shell and after some closer inspection it looks like a clam shell growing inside one of the groves of the shell.... the smaller clam only ever opens about 1/8 inch so can't see inside it, but it is constantly moving, I will post a pic as soon as i can.... (someone left my camera with a dead battery...
)
Is this normal?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnivor http:///forum/thread/381696/a-clam-on-a-clam#post_3326145
I got my first clam today he's about 4 -5 inches and after i got him home and into my tank he's all opened up already and looking good, but i noticed something moving on the side of the shell and after some closer inspection it looks like a clam shell growing inside one of the groves of the shell.... the smaller clam only ever opens about 1/8 inch so can't see inside it, but it is constantly moving, I will post a pic as soon as i can.... (someone left my camera with a dead battery...
)
Is this normal?
That's very cool, I'd love to see a picture of this as it is not normal.
I'd say that in the long run, this is probably going to irritate the larger clam and they will have to be separated.

K

karnivor

If i'm not mistakin it looks like there might have been another clam on it before in a different area it looks smooth like the inside of a shell (i'm trying to get pics but hard to get the right angle) but here are some pics of the clams...