A Compatibility question???

ty_05_f

I want a clown fish. But i don't know about my yellowtail blue damsel. I would like a perc or ocellaris. Do you think it would work out??? Or would the Damsel be too aggressive??:confused:

flamehawk

I WOULDN'T RISK IT. WAIT 'TILL THE TANK IS FULLY CYCLED, REMOVE THE DAMSEL AND START FRESH. THAT W/B MY ADVISE. IF YOU REALLY LIKE THE DAMSEL YOU MAY HAVE TO REMOVE HIM INTO ANOTHER TANK WHILE YOU STOCK WITH RATHER SMALL FISH SINCE IT IS A 29. MY CHOICES: A PAIR OF PERCS, A ROYAL GRAMMA, AND A FLAME HAWK. START WITH PERCS AND ADD VERY SLOWLY MORE FISH AT 2 WEEK INTERVALS. MY 2 CENTS. GOOD LUCK.

slick

You could get a maroon clown or a yellow stripe. They are aggressive too and should stand up to him.

ty_05_f

Yeah, i wasnt going to put the clown in until its fully cycled anyway. I was reading on another website that the yellowtail damsel was one of the least aggressive damsels and likes peaceful tankmates??

singlemalt

I have had a yellow tail damsel and a marroon clown together for over a year. No trouble at all. The clown is about 2.5 inches long and the damsel probably around an inch. I also have a coral beauty, a firefish and a six line wrasse. No aggression problems what so ever.

musipilot

We have a maroon clown and a 3 stripe damsel in a rock curing tank -- if you tried to separate them they would bite you -- they're best buddies.

flamehawk

yt damsels are pretty non aggressive relative to other damsels. Green and blue chromis are also but are better in groups of 3 or more and you tank w/b a bit on the small side to have them as well as others you want. Good luck.

sea goblin

I have a tank that is almost the exact same set up as what you want to have. My yellow tail damsel is very friendly with the other fish in the tank those being an occelaris clown, and a coral beauty. He was the only damsel that i kept of the 3 that i used to cycle my tank and has been in there for over a year, and the clown has been there for about a year now. HTH
Sea Goblin

fshhub

get the perc or ocelleris(sp)
they will be fine, adn the maroons get a bit large for a 29, anyhow

ty_05_f

yeah i want to get a smaller fish because i don't just want two fish in my tank. I saw a website that says maroons get up to 6 inches and the minimum tank size is 30gallons.

bterry29

I started with a yt damsel and also was concerned about how other fish would get along with it. I decided to get two oscelleris clowns with the idea that they would "intimidate" the yt damsel. I added the clowns about 3 weeks ago and so far no problems. The yt damsel pays no attention to the clowns. The damsel stays in the lr and the clowns stay out front. I think they like the attention.