A few general Q's ....

xlr8

I still consider myself a noob due to the fact that I'm still working on getting the finances in order for the Biocube 29 I have my eye on. I've talked to a kinda LFS (40 miles one way) who are all experience reefers and seem trustworthy... but I want to ask....
Has any one bought fish from a chain pet store like PETCOmpany or the like?
IF and I do mean IF a person wanted a damsel in a 29 gal., what would make good tank mates ect.
Thanks for any input and opinions and I'll keep you posted on the Biocube (if it happens)

tank a holic

I've bought from 2 big chain stores as well as reef only stores, 3 things to know when dealing with any fish store big or small ...
1. buying fish is ok as long as you get a healthy one, tell the LFS to feed them, if it doesn't eat I would pass, watch how it swims, if it is sluggish and avoids tank mates, you should avoid it
2. research all purchases, I carry a reef book with me to the LFS so if something catches my eye I can read about it and see what it is compatible with and what it eats etc. etc.
3. Always stick to rules 1 and 2 no matter what a LFS tells you regardless of how much "knowledge" or "experience" they TELL you they have 99.9% of the time they just want to make a sale the only exception to this is when you have a long standing relationship with a store, then they will give you good advice if they know what they are talking about, the only bad thing is that by that time you know too and don't need their advice!

E

eric b 125

there's many cooler fish that could go into a 29 than a damsel IMO. damsels can end up being pretty mean from what i've heard. i'd get a duo of pj cardinals rather than some damsels. as far as LFS, if P3tc0 is all you have around you, then you gotta do what you gotta do. i would take all their information with a grain of salt. no matter where i go (i have 3 good LFS) i always get a second guess from a different source.

nitschke65

+1 on tank a holic's post!
I think one of the smartest things I did when I started my biocube 29 last year (my first saltwater tank) was listen to everyone who told me not to get a damsel. I chose a pair of green chromis, that I originally thought were pretty plain, uninteresting fish; and, were innexpensive. They're still with me, and I now find them fascinating. I sit here right next to them at my computer and read them all the posts from people who rue the day they bought that dang damsel. It's nipping at all of their cool new fish, and they just can't figure out how to catch it. They all sound very dismayed when a bunch of people explain how to put all of their corals and live rock into tubs so that they can corner them with a net.
I personally wouldn't put anything from p3tco live in my tank without quarantining it first.

xlr8

I completly agree that there is much cooler fish for a bc29 whole heartedly. And I have read how mean they can be. The reason for asking about the damsels is that my wife and kids seem to be attracted to many of them
, and I want everyone in the family to enjoy this tank. I have explained how mean they can be and that we can find something else a little more easier/peaceful/personality ect.
Thanks everyone for the input!

locoyo386

Hi there,
Originally Posted by xlr8
http:///forum/post/2943754
I still consider myself a noob (so do I, but I guess I would always do.) due to the fact that I'm still working on getting the finances in order for the Biocube 29 I have my eye on. I've talked to a kinda LFS (40 miles one way) who are all experience reefers and seem trustworthy... but I want to ask....
Has any one bought fish from a chain pet store like PETCOmpany or the like?
That is the only place I buy, as there are no "saltwater fish" store. I do not order online either.
IF and I do mean IF a person wanted a damsel in a 29 gal., what would make good tank mates ect.
I love damsels, including the clown fish. I have blue, 3-stripe, cloudy, yellow tail, domino and lemon. I like how they are fast swimmers, and extremely active. I only have them with other damsels. I currently have some with trigger (it's still very small). They do tend to get very territorial and will fight off all fish that come close. Even the ones that are established for a while will be agressive. I would imagine that a fish that is as agressive as the damsels and similar in size would be good tank mates. I do think that they never stop fighting though.
Thanks for any input and opinions and I'll keep you posted on the Biocube (if it happens)

tank a holic

next time you see a chromis green, psuedo or what ever I would look at the wife and kids and say "look at this damsel, we should get it!!!"