A few Ich questions.

First off I just started Hypo this week on my poor lionfish who had fin rot then in qt got ich. He in a rubbermade right now as I didn't have a dedicated qt at the time but have since bough one and cycled it but I have a few questions.
Will hypo totally kill my live rock. I bought 2 new cured pieces to cycle the qt with so can I leave them in there during hypo.
Also I just wanna know if ich is developed or just received. If its just received where did it start in the first place. Because by rights if you hypoed a tank full of fish and never added anything new there would be no chance of getting ich ever again...am i right?
Thanks

sepulatian

Hypo won't totally kill the rock but it will kill most of it. You are better off just adding the pieces into a bucket with a small powerhead and watching for any spikes. If there is no dieoff and there are no fish in your display tank then you can put the rock into the display.
Ich has to be introduced into a tank it does not develop. Once all fish are treated be sure to quarantine everything that you buy before adding it into your display tank, this includes non fish.

So it will still provide a biologic filter for my qt? I left the live rock to cure in a bucket for a week then put it into my qt to cycle it.
If ich is just transmitted where did it start?
Because i kept my lion in a my rubbermade qt for 3 weeks and there were no signs of ich. He was in my DT for about a month then he got fin rot. 2 weeks after I started treating him in the rubbermade he got ich so does that mean ich is in my DT?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Thoroughbred
So it will still provide a biologic filter for my qt?
If ich is just transmitted where did it start?
Because i kept my lion in a my rubbermade qt for 3 weeks and there were no signs of ich. He was in my DT for about a month then he got fin rot. 2 weeks after I started treating him in the rubbermade he got ich so does that mean ich is in my DT?
Yes. If you have not quarantined your other fish before adding them into the DT then it is very likely that ich is present in there. What do you mean with the rock though? If the quarantine tank is in hypo right now then do not add the rock. You realy should not add any rock into the QT at all. If it is in hypo then are you saying that it was not cycled and you are trying to add more biological filtration now?

I cycled the qt with the live rock i bought. Its in there now. I started hypo for my lionfish in the rubbermade bucket but now that my qt is cycled I want to move him into it. I just wanna know if the hypo will kill the bacteria in the rock in my qt. Because the way i see it the more places for bacteria to live aka the live rock the better my tank will be.

mess88

my qt i put base rock that was cycle in my display. So figure it junk rock anyways. i would not put nice live rock in the qt. or put some rumble in the qt. good luck