A little adice on 240gal future reef

mcbdz

I bought a 240 gal RR used.
It was setup for about five years as a FOWLR and has been in storage for 1 year. WHat would ya'll do? Just cleanup and water test, if ok setup. Or would you go ahead and scrape old sylicone off and reseal
I plan on having this cycling by the first of the year so I'll have lots of queation.

salt monger

DO NOT SCRAPE OFF SILICONE !!!!!! that is factory applied silicone and is good for atleast 20 years, leave it alone. if you mess with it there is a good chance you might not apply it as well....

turningtim

As long and the sili is still in good shape and not dried out or peeling I wouldn't mess with it. I have had several tanks sit longer than that w/o issues at all. I would give it a good vinegar/water bath, water test it and set it up.

mcbdz

Thanks ya. I will level sylicone alone. Glad to hear that, wasn't wanting that job.

Next question. What about the paint on the back. They used a light blue and I am a black background fan. Is it worth removing and repainting, or better to just live with it? If ok to remove, what is best method?
They painted themselves.

turningtim

Glass is easy to scrape. Just use a razor blade with a handle and have yourself a time. Get a box of blades they won't last long and flip it over every now and then to get the most life.
Its not a bunch of fun. I did a 2' x 4' panel in less then a half hour.
HTH
Tim

mcbdz

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Glass is easy to scrape. Just use a razor blade with a handle and have yourself a time. Get a box of blades they won't last long and flip it over every now and then to get the most life.
Its not a bunch of fun. I did a 2' x 4' panel in less then a half hour.
HTH
Tim
Thanks TurningTim
I'm trying to make my list of things I need do do before seting it up inside. It is so large that once it is up I don't plan on it being moved.
When I get started I start posting pics. I should hopefully get the electic wired up this month and then get to start on the tank. My husband is going to put in it's own breaker. Thanks again ya'll are so much help.

turningtim

No worries!
With a tank that size I would add up all the watts for the equipment needed and then divide by 120. This will give you the AMPS required to run the system. 1 20 amp breaker may not be enough. Also you can only run 80% (I think?) load on each breaker. So you should only have 16 amps on each.
Lights and all your pumps are gonna pull some power.
Just to be on the safe side! Can't wait to see pics!
Tim