A lot of questions

Ok number 1 are bio balls/wet dry filters bad? I have heard many different things on this site like they are beneficial or some that say they raise nitrates... pretty much a lot of mixed opinions. What is the truth?
Second I have a lot of rock work in my aquarium and I was wondering how you keep the sand clean of detrius build up where i have big caves? Is that the clean up crews job?
Third what about invertabrates like a fire shirmp? I have heard that they hide a lot and I have a 210 gallon aquarium so there would be a lot of places to hide. How does he get food if he is always hiding?

deejeff442

i ran a wet/dry for years but it is an outdated item.
fuge/sump is the way to go.but the wet/dry will still be benifitial.
cuc will clean the sand.
i have a coral banded shrimp the size of a baseball with the antlers he hides in the back but i can still find him dont worry he will find the food.

natclanwy

Bioballs are fine as long as you clean them periodically, LR rubble seems to be a better alternative to bioballs because it can support fauna that will clean the pores of the LR so that you don't have to clean it manually.
To keep the sand clear of dietrus you need to have plenty of flow and a good cleanup crew, I would reccomend having at least 15x turnover rate and make sure some of that flow is directed across the bottom.
Shrimp will come out usually when there is food available and they have a great sense of smell so add a few flakes of food and they will come out to investigate and see if they can secure a meal. You don't need to worry about spot feeding shrimp they will find enough on their own plus their job is to cleanup any excess food or dead animals that you cannot reach.

fau8

no your shrimp will be fine, stay away from coral banded shrimp and the small lobsters.

fau8

I have had one and watched him climp the tail of a watchman goby and latch on to my yellow tang. He went back to the LFS.