A new 175

jcarroll

Hey guys! I have had a 55 gallon for about 5 years now, and am excited to say that tomorrow one of my friends is selling me his 175 for $1000! That's everything included, including a snowflake eel.
I'm just wondering, when he brings everything over here tomorrow and we're setting it back up, is there anything specific that is recommended for me? We are saving the water in buckets. I am just a little concerned about how to deal with the eel. It's the only thing in there, it ate all of his fish. It's about 3 feet long. Am I able to introduce it right away? Or do I need to wait until the water clears from the sand being stirred up? I can't put him in my 55 because he'll eat my fish and possibly try to commit suicide out of the top.
Another question is what kinds of fish can I have in there that are safe from becoming lunch?

If it was a well established tank, and like you said you are keeping everything, even the water, IMO there shouldn't be a problem putting him in. The debris and silt shouldn't hurt him.
If you can aerate the bucket the eel is in and monitor temperature, you could leave him in there a bit, until debris settles in the tank. It will still be very cloudy, but there shouldn't be much in the way of big particles to hurt him.
Have Fun!!!
I also have a 175 gallon, if yours doesn't have a sump or refugium, I would suggest one. Mine is a 105 gallon.

big

Good luck with the move, here is a copy and paste of info on my move from a few years back. I did have a spike from disturbing the substrate.
" I moved mine in May and with all the tubs etc. I still had an issue with the substrate. It most likely will cause somewhat of a spike a few days after setup. If I had to do it again the critters would be housed in a second container till the spike from moving the substrate passed. A good idea is having a second tank (big container of some kind) at the new site ready before the move to hold everyone till the spike passes. I also removed a large amount of my substrate just because of stressing the tank during the move. It was about four days till mine "settled down". It may be several days till you can safely reintroduce you critters.. Another issue for me was losing the coralline on the back glass, it is hard not to. Watch the nitrate levels......."
Do not know if any of this will help but I thought it waas worth the mention....... Good luck ..........
Hope you upgrade goes well!