A sad thing to see in an aquarium

this is from a market in china, and yes that is a sea turtle, in a 55 gallon tank. i took this with my phone so its not so good... i asked the owner if its eating and he said it is. but the whole time i was there it was continuosly swiming against the glass, i think these turtles are supposed to be free range swimmers, not stationary like reef fish. right really sad to see. Well if anybody is interested in owning an endangered species... its right here in china, for 115 dollars.

meowzer

With you being in China, you must be seeing a lot of this.. I have seen people post a lot of videos of way over crowded tanks from there....supposedly that's that way they do things

flower

There are people with really huge tanks...maybe it will be purchased...everything is crowded in a fish store, and it takes years for a sea turtle to get big.

julie853

That is so sad to see it breaks my heart.
Hopefully someone will buy it with a large tank or better yet turn it loose where it came from.

speg

This situation is like a double-edged sword. If you buy the turtle and attempt to 'rescue' it then will save it (maybe). Although, now fish stores will see that these things sell and then they'll obtain more.

yeah really huge tanks like the size of the ocean? This is very very sad to me. Its no wonder that this animal has ended up on the endangered species list. Do you know the process of sea turtles laying their eggs and the plight that little sea turtle makes back to the ocean after he hatches? Very few actually live. This strong guy who was lucky, strong, brave enough to do that ended up in a pet store in china in a 55 gallon tank...to spend the rest of his life (if he lives) being oogled at. what a great life. what a pitiful exisistanse for a beautiful animal that should be respected and protected. Makes me sick. Some times im very embarassed to be a part of the human race. Someone should buy it and take it to a zoo or aquarium (or rehabilitate it so it can go back to the ocean) and fine the heck out of that pet store...but i bet they dont have as strick guidelines as we do here...obviously.

pezenfuego

Yeah, huge tanks like at a public aquarium. I've seen them there. That would be its best bet. You can't re-release the poor thing.