A Valentini puffer question

woody189

Hi.
I have a 46 gallon Reef and I"m going to attempt to add a Valentini puffer. I'm aware that it may eat my shrimp/snails/crabs/corals, but I'm gonna try it anyway. From my reading, it's hit or miss, but more cases have a positive result.
My question is:
I understand that you have to feed clams or mussels, or shelled foods so the fish can wear down it's teeth, BUT does that mean it will eat a clam (like a maxima)? Is it more or less a certainty??
I don't see why it would eat an "normal" clam and not a maxima, but maybe (hopefully) i'm missing something. Is it the same deal, hit or miss, or is it something that shouldn't be attempted?
Thanks.

Mine doesn't touch my corals (I'm mostly a FOWLR with very few hardy corals), but I couldn't imagine him NOT touching a clam. YUMMY!!!

crypt keeper

Puffers and sharpnose puffers are notorious coral eaters. Once it gets older it will destroy your reef tank.

ophiura

It is highly likely it will at least nip at clam mantles, and that can cause enough stress to lose the clam. This hobby is about risk and balances. If you really like your clam, you have to decide if you prefer it (or your shrimp, snails, etc) over the puffer. Because there is a risk...and the more you don't want it to happen, it seems, the more likely it is to be a problem.

woody189

K thanks. I don't have a clam yet, but I really wanted one. Now I'm wondering what I should do. I'm willing to risk the other inverts, but not a clam. I think it will more than likely kill it also, I was just hoping I was wrong.
BTW...I did a lot research, and I'm not sure if they are notorious coral eaters. Actually, from what I've seen, they usually DON'T eat the corals, and work pretty well in a reef. Of course that's not always the case.
Thanks.