• LED

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Metal Halides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • T-5s

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dangerfish

So I know that there is more than one answer for this question but what is one of the best lightings for a mixed reef tank, I have a current USA orbit marine LED but it isn't strong enough for sps corals and I have my doubts if it can even support an anemone. And I was looking at the radions but their just really expensive. I like how controllable they are, how I can hang them from the ceiling, and if I ever save enough for an apex their compatible. But I would need two of them for my 90-gallon tank and I don't want to spend over 1,300 for some lights. So I was wondering what some of you guys recommend and what you guys use.

Requirements for light by priority

1. Can sustain sps corals
  2. Affordable
  3. Can hang from ceiling (or can sit over my tank in a way where I don't have to take off my light to take off my screen covers)
I don't really mind about if it creates heat or has high wattage because my bedroom is downstairs where it's cool and my dad is paying for the electric bill and he likes my tank just as much as I do so he probably won't mind.

dangerfish

Oh yeah and I don't really want to spend over 600 dollars but I will go up to 700 if it's the absolute best choice.

jay0705

Ha ha ha love the " my dad pays the bill" . Orbit marine pro could work. If you want cheap but strong mars aqua AKA cheap chinese box leds work and according to alot of folks i know work well

lmforbis

I've heard the same about mars Aqua. You can also go with T5s, a 6-8 bulb fixture will support SPS. It is the continuous cost of new bulbs that drives the cost up.
I love my Kessils but they weren't cheap.

dangerfish

Yeah, I just looked at those and they got me thinking should I buy an ok light right now or save up for some high-end lights that I already know I'll get eventually.

dangerfish

haha, I saved up for this tank since I was 12 and I finally get it started and I just want to upgrade everything:)

dangerfish

I think I might just save up for a little longer, I mean I've waited 4 years to actually get the tank what's another year for some brand new lights with an apex system now it's just a decision between the radions or the ap700.

.....How did this turn into a thread where I was going to buy some strong cheap lights to a thread where I save my money to get some high-end lights.....Sometimes I don't get myself:D

dangerfish

So I guess since I've totally abandoned my strong low-cost light idea. I guess the new debate is whether to get radions or to get the ap700.