? about closed loop system

allen1973

I want to do a closed loop system to do away with powerheads.I have a lifegaurd quietone external pump that will pump roughly 1200 gph at no head,which I'll be placing on some sort of shelf or whatnot in back of tank so I won't have much head.Will this be big enough for water movement and what size pipe should I use and where to place outlets for maximum movement.This is a 75 gallon tank that is slowly becoming a reef tank.Thanks for the imput. ***)

bovetek

you can use any size pump you want. It just depends on what kind of flow you want. On mine I added a SQWD and used Lok-Line to aim the flow where I wanted. I'm getting about 970 GPH out of a mag12 return from my Sump/Fuge. If all your doingis a closed loop, then your head loss will be minimal. Check out Meleve's site. He has a basic CL with a good DIY.
HTH

edat

This is what I did on my 75 gallon...
1 inch intake...
3/4 inch on the return...
Quiet One 4000 sitting on a shelf behind the tank
Works good for me...HTH

allen1973

thats basically what I was looking at doing,but at what angle do you point your return,like I was thinking of coming in on back corners then facing them towards middle of front glass,just want to makesure of no dead spots.

schadiest1

I'm looking to do this with my 40 gal. long. What size pump should I use? I don't want too much flow and if I'm spending all that money, don't want to have to little flow either.

moby

Something you might want to consider is on the second elbow on the intake, replace with a tee with a threaded cap. This will allow you to prime the pump by taking the cap off and pouring water down to the pump directly. Once the pipe is full, put the cap back on and start the pump. Also it is never a bad idea to put ball valves on the two outflow pipes and one on the intake so that you can isolate or adjust water flow in the closed loop if needed.
Moby

schadiest1

that's a good idea about the valves. This way I can get the strongest pump and adjust the flow down if it's too strong.

dragracer

Ok, so I used your picture and built one myself. The tank is filling now so I decided I better try this thing out. I primed it, and water began to leak out of the screws on the pumps. I took it back and got a new one.....same deal......why is this happening......does the pump have to be running to have any water in it? Will this stop when its on?

natclanwy

Can you get a pic of the front of the pump where the water is leaking, I have a Quiet one 3000 but it doesn't have any screws on the pump, I'm just trying to get an idea where the water is coming from so maybe I can help find a solution.

V

vince-1961

I am building one now and got a blog going under the New Hobbyist section.