About reefs-

aegiale

Hello, I'm new to this board... this will be slightly long and I apologize, but I want to get things straight with my aquarium. I inherited a 75 gallon tank last year that was in poor condition, covered with green algae. I cleaned it up, and months later added some live rock, a 2" live sand bed, and some corals. It has been running seemingly well since and coralline is growing slowly, but surely. I've had a few things die (but that seems somewhat normal). Overall I've never had a major problem with it except when I moved from Miami to NC and experienced some retardation and lost a few things. It's 75 gallons and I have a haitian anemone, some flower anemones, some ricordia, two feather dusters, colt coral, mushrooms, brown buttons, yellow polyps, various zos and star polyps. I believe my one SPS is a hairy pavona, which I assume needs the most light, so it was placed near the top. There's a yellow tang, bicolor blenny, a serpant star, another kind of star fish, and a couple of damsels (they leave the tang alone). There are many turbo snails, blue hermits, and a few emerald crabs. I try to keep some plantlife in the tank as well to help with levels. I have a percula clown coming next week.
As for equipment, there is a wet/dry filter with bioballs with a pre-filter, an additional powerhead in the tank for water movement (low/heavy current areas), two 48" long VHOs (one super actinic and one white) with a ballast. The lights are on 10-11 hours a day and are about 6" from the top of the water.
As for care, I do about a 20 gallon per month water change, I add calcium and iodine once a week for the coral. They're fed algae, brine shrimp, formula one, and flakes. I also add invert food weekly. I test the water biweekly and usually it reads okay. Sometimes the pH is high or low, so I add buffer and that usually fixes it. I clean the filters (not the balls, though) about every other week. I also have a heater and keep the temperature around 78 degrees.
I'm concerned because my "reef", though relatively new, doesn't seem to be thriving as much as I think it should. Whenever I add something, it looks worse in my tank - doesn't usually die - just isn't as brilliant or gets smaller and stays that way. I've noticed that when I add zos or polyps there are fewer of them every month. Why is that?
Two of my main concerns are that I don't have a skimmer or a refuge (or know what that truly is even). I also don't have a UV sterilizer. I've been given conflicting information and I'm worried about my livestock. Most people I've asked say these aren't necessary for my set up, but I wanted the opinions of people on this board. I was also told that I don't need carbon in my filter, is this correct?
My second concern is that, no matter how often I perform water changes, my water is never completely clear. It always has the slightest yellowish or brownish tint to it and you can tell this when you look down the length of the tank, not at it from the front. What could this be from?
I'm including a picture (I hope it works), but the the lighting is off. It's brighter in person and the water is not foggy as it looks in the picture.
I would really appreciate any help you could offer. There is not a single decent aquarium store around here and I would like a healthier tank.
Thanks very much, Aimee "aegiale"

aegiale

Also, out of curiousity, I've noticed many of you have black backgrounds. Mine is blue. Is black more beneficial or is it a matter of preference? Thanks...

T

thomas712

What type of water do you use for your water changes. Not tap water I hope.
Yes, Yes, Yes- Run some carbon, try to find some high grade reef carbon that doesn't leach many phosphates like Black Diamond or Kent Reef carbon. You can even use some low grade carbon for up to 12 hours first then just toss it out, then switch to the high grade stuff for 48 hours.
I would recommend an in sump protien skimmer. Forget the UV you don't need them on a reef tank, kills to many benifical things. Sounds like you might have some heavy DOC's in the tank,
Do you use any filter floss in the wet/dry, if it is dark then change it. I change mine every week to 2 weeks, and just after heavy maintenance.
Water changes depend on how much you feed and what your bio load is. Usually 10-15% water changes using RO or RO/DI or Distilled water, mix for 24-48 hours and aeriate before use.
That was a long post, did I miss anything?
Welcome to the board

Thomas

ga8233

Hi Aegiale,
I don't know how much I can help, but I believe if you use carbon it should help get the brownish/yellow tint out of there. I keep a bag of carbon in my tank 24/7. Some people just add it now and then. Gina

aegiale

Thanks for responding. Yes, I do change the floss biweekly. I also have a two sponges: one under the tank and one in the prefilter on the back. What kind of skimmer do you recommend? What does a skimmer do? And what's a DOC? Thanks so much...
I'll try the carbon. I guess I'll have to order some online...

schneidts

DOC's are dissolved organic compounds. You should run a search on protein skimmers and sumps on this forum. There are tons of older posts full of valuable info. The yellowing you describe sounds like a result of no skimmer. Simply stated a skimmer traps and collects doc's and various other wastes and gunk. They can be fairly inexpensive and are a must IMO in a reef tank. HTH:happy:

nm reef

Sounds to me like the makings of a very nice reef...plus you obviously have given a lot of thought and effort to your reef. Thats great...just continue learning and you'll be fine. The yellowing of the water can be helped by using carbon...and as mentioned a skimmer would be a good addition. If your lighting was used when you got it I'd consider changing the lamps...most VHO lamps should be changed at least every 12 months. Out of spectrum lighting(old bulbs) can cause problems.
Sounds to me like you are doing good ... just continue to develope and improve your system...and welcome to our site...folks here will be glad to help all they can.:thinking: