About sand

chris009

I'm thinking about using a DSB in my 90 gallon reef tank. I remember a while back on some forum where people were talking about a cheap play sand that either does or does not dissolve in vinager that is the right kind of sand. My memory is fuzzy, but, with yalls help, I will figure out the right type of sand for my tank. Anyone know what sand is lingering in my memory? Thanks.

mcbdz

It needs to be argonite(?). Wouldn't use any other type. I'm not sure of a brand. Maybe southdowns or something like that.

kas2247

I used the Quickrete Play Sand (50lbs for just over $3) from Lowes. Most will say you should just stick to live sand (and if I had the money I definitely would have just done that), but it's working fine for me so far. My tank's gone through a few algea blooms, but they (so far) have gone away pretty much on their own as the tank matures. The only thing I don't like about it is how fine it is. It blows around a little too easily, but that's not a huge deal to me. It's only been 4 months so I'm still holding my breath. At $3/bag I couldn't pass it up.

maxalmon

true reef sand will bubble and fizz if you pour vinegar on it. If it's doesn't then it's a silica based sand, IMO worthless for reeftanks even at $3.00 for 50lb. Part of the complex reason for having aragonite based sand is that it helps buffers the pH, won't happen with silica based sand.

earlybird

Originally Posted by maxalmon
true reef sand will bubble and fizz if you pour vinegar on it. If it's doesn't then it's a silica based sand, IMO worthless for reeftanks even at $3.00 for 50lb. Part of the complex reason for having aragonite based sand is that it helps buffers the pH, won't happen with silica based sand.
Strange. What makes it fizz?

reefkprz

also silica based sand generally has sharp edges that are not Ideal for microfauna inhabitants, as well as the chance of soluble silica impurities leading to nearly endless diatom problems (this is hit or miss) if your going to use silica based sand you should use labratory grade silica sand wich is just as expensive as aragonite and still doesnt have the buffering capacity or the ideal environment for microfauna.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by earlybird
Strange. What makes it fizz?
calcium carbonate reacting with the acid in the vinager, just like baking soda and vinager. or baking soda and battery acid, its the reaction of the buffering capacity neutralizing the acid.

maxalmon

Eric, good point about the sharp edges, I'd forgot about that aspect
Vinegar and just about anything thats calcium based with have a reaction, kinda like my friend who's housekeeper decided to use vinegar on her limestone flooring, totally ruined it.... One good way to clean a powerhead is to soak them in Vinegar, it removes just about all the coraline algae, then soak the PH's in FW, then rinse, repeat etc..

earlybird

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Eric, good point about the sharp edges, I'd forgot about that aspect
Vinegar and just about anything thats calcium based with have a reaction, kinda like my friend who's housekeeper decided to use vinegar on her limestone flooring, totally ruined it.... One good way to clean a powerhead is to soak them in Vinegar, it removes just about all the coraline algae, then soak the PH's in FW, then rinse, repeat etc..
Thanks

tinmanny

if you decide to use that sand you should pass a good magnet through it you may find it is loaded with metals which are not good for the tank that will not happen with argonite
Good Luck
Manny