Acan corals.......azooxanthellate??!?!

novahobbies

Can someone chime in on this?? There is an interview with Claude Schuhmacher in the Jul/Aug issue of CORAL that was very interesting...and a note almost in the beginning of the interview that shocked the HECK out of me! To quote from CORAL....
Quote:
"...there is one genus that continues to have a special fascination for me: Acanthastrea
. I find their inexhaustible variety of colors simply bewitching, and the entire family of Mussidae is also very interesting in terms of its wide distribution in the wild. Besides, they are all azooxanthellate corals, which are my particular passion."
......say WHAT?? Was this a misquote, or is every store website wrong? I've been over more than a few sites, and either I'm blind (which I will allow a possibility) or NOBODY mentions the fact that Acans are completely devoid of symbiotic zooxanthellae! Is this a recent discovery that was treated as a throwaway line, or just a bad mistranslation from German?? Needless to say it surprised me, but then it got me thinking.....
Most websites say that Acans can adapt to "a wide variety of lighting systems," including even PCs, which are generally regarded as the poor backwards second cousins in the aquarium lighting family. Since PCs throw such a small amount of usable energy into the tank, it DOES stand to reason that Acans are getting their energy from other sources, such as zooplankton. They also show a very aggressive feeding response, as much as Sun corals that I've seen.
Schuhmacher also has the element of experience...he breeds MANY acans, feeds them all heavily, and boy do they grow for him. Just a few pics in the magazine are proof enough of that.
Could it be that these corals are...if not completely azooxanthellate (even though S. says they are), at least partly azooxanthellate? Could their zooxanthellae colonies be greatly reduced from corals that take in most of their energy from light?
I don't know....but I will say this. I had two fairly large, healthy Acan colonies. Both were on the sand bed, under 24 inches of water, with a 150w MH over the tank. By all accounts, they should have been fine under this light. BUT....they wasted. Slowly. I would feed them once every couple weeks, but I never targeted them. As they receded, the skeleton was taken over by cyano...and I had very little cyano in this tank, so it was somewhat odd. I would constantly be blowing cyano off the Acans only. Now my red colony is gone, with only a small frag that happened to polyp off remaining. My green colony has reduced to 4 or 5 heads...from a 20+ head colony....that I have fragged apart so there's not much dead skeleton around it.
Tell ya what, I'm going to target feed that green acan once a week and see what happens. I would love to hear from some Acan owners here....sing out and tell us what you feed / when you feed / IF you feed your acans.

red tiger

I have a Europa Acan and i have it under two power compacts (biocube) and it opens up for me real well. I feed the whole tank mysis with oyster feast, i don't necesarry target feed like i do my sun coral, but some of the mysis will get in its tentacles.
I will post a pic shortly! You be the judge!

florida joe

That is interesting considering in the same mag on page 53 it states both scolymia australis and acanthastrea lordhowensis are zooxanthellae inverts

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/393064/acan-corals-azooxanthellate#post_3495794
That is interesting considering in the same mag on page 53 it states both scolymia australis and acanthastrea lordhowensis are zooxanthellae inverts
THANK YOU, I know, right?? I'm glad someone else read those articles. I really don't know what to think, other than this obvious point: The Acans I have left have been fed weekly, and I don't see any more die-off. Shame I had to lose an entire colony of red acans, and almost a full green colony, to make this change. Could be that they just take more nutrition from food sources other than sunlight. But it would interest me to find out what kind of comparative percentages of symbiotic algae these corals have...
Oh, and good to hear from you!! Where have you been lately?

florida joe

I have been busy this summer getting my new knees in good working order I will try and reach out to Mote marine labs and see what they have to say

novahobbies

It's very good to see you back on the forums, and I'm glad to hear the knees are coming back!! I'd love to hear what your contacts at Mote thing about this.
Are you clearing your schedule for end of August 2013? MACNA over here on my coast! First drink is on me. Maybe we can resurrect Theresa and drag her over as well.

florida joe

Seems like the good people at Mote believe that Acans derived some if not all of their energy from zooxanthellae. They said they did not want to comment specifically on the article in reference to it being wrong.
Aug 13 2013 is a good way off but it does sound like a plain

novahobbies

Fair enough, fair enough. Seems like a coral that has such an advanced feeding response should be geared towards heterotrophic behavior (well, either way it's technically a heterotroph, but you get my point...). It's frustrating when you get two conflicting reports from equally learned sources in the same magazine.
Yup. August '13 is a long way off. Plenty of time to plan and get ready!