Acan Lords?

rbaby

Hey, anybody have any care information regarding Acan Lords? Are they hardy? Sensitive to water params? What food do they take? Any information regarding these corals would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

rbaby

My friend collects them and he said when I am ready for some he will give me some...he has thousands of dollars worth of acans :)...so I want to do as much research as I can to help keep whatever heads he gives me healthy.

organism

they're very hardy, like moderate light, moderate current, and will eat a whole lot of food
also, they grow very quickly, if they're aquacultured they'll take more light, but if they're wild keep them in low light or the colours'll fade out a bit

rbaby

If they are very hardy...and grow fast...why are they so expensive? I'm not too good at understanding what determines a coral's worth under those kinds of conditions...
Any supplementation they need like calcium or iodine or anything of that sort?

organism

well, there's a very limited supply that gets imported into the country, because most other countries have banned exportation, and a huge demand for them here, so the price skyrockets
also, they grow quickly, but the people that do frag them are gonna charge market price just because there's so much demand it makes sense, although within a year and a half to two years the price is really gonna drop once everyone's colonies grow out, but for now they'll stay pricey, which I like just fine :D

rbaby

Can I see your acans? :)
Also, I know that they don't like much light...and that in a MH setup they would actually be in the shade. I have 126 watts on a 12 gallon (10k's/Actinics)...would I still need to put them in the shade or is that light intensity okay for their species?

organism

here's a couple at the bottom of the thread, along with a whole lotta frags growing out...
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...hreadid=147793
what kind of lights are they on your 12, pc's? it should be ok on the bottom of that tank, seems like they do well under tube lighting, just metal halides are a tad strong penetration-wise, also it depends on what coloration you're getting as to how they'll like your lights