acclamate clam?

nycbob

as long as temp is similar, u can dump it in. just make sure to inspect it for snails under the clam. i hv never acclimate my clams for more than 10 minutes.

candycane

When you buy them, you usually want to take the water that they came in and dump it into a smaller bowl. Then add about 3-4 cups of water from your own tank to the bowl that the clam is in. This will also raise the temp that the clam is in if it has dropped even a few degrees since getting placed in the bag (the three things that clams are most sensitive to are temp, light and salinity).
But after you are done examining the foot underneath (also try to make sure that the byssal organ is still there - you can determine this by looking for small pieces of rubble or rock stuck to the bottom of the clam), you also want to examine around the edge of where the mantle lip is. If it is a clam with scutes, the scallopy looking things that come out from the side, look into those for small snail looking things as well.
I also always like to take a toothbrush and scrub around the outside of the shell. I try not to scrub around the foot area at the bottom of the clam because the bristles could ROYALY bother the clam.

I did the buy and drop method, don't have that clam anymore. I drip acclimate all my clams and they are doing great.

nycbob

Originally Posted by privatejoker
http:///forum/post/2672578
I did the buy and drop method, don't have that clam anymore. I drip acclimate all my clams and they are doing great.
ur clam dying probably wasnt caused by the acclimation process. there r many reason why a clam might die. listing ur water parameters and equipments, along with the maturity of ur tank will help. i freshwater dip a few of my clams months ago, and they r all still fine. clams r a lot tougher than people give them credit for.

jtrzerocool

just to be on the safe side i floated the bag for about 10 min and then i drip acclimated it...i never throw caution to the wind...i do all the extra just for my own comfort...