Acclimating a dead/molting shrimp

elfdoctors

I just got a shipment from swf.com. The blood red fire shrimp seems to be dead on arrival. I am thinking of acclimating it slowly anyway as I don't know for sure if it might be molting. Is there anyway to tell for sure? None of its mouth parts are moving.
Does anyone have any advice?

elfdoctors

It kicked once! I am hoping it is just molting or in some reversible shocklike state. I am just planning on doing a long gradual acclimation and hope it makes it.
The box temperature in this shipment was only 70 degrees. Usually they arrive warmer. They used a larger box this time then usual and the 3 heat packs didn't seem as warm as prior shipments from here. I wonder if this is too low for them.

squidd

That 15 deg below 0 we had monday didn't help much either...:nope:
But if he's still kicking he may have a bit of life left...could have gone into a "hibernation" type shock from the cold...
Just acclimate slowly (temp change as well as water change) and keep an eye on him...
Hope for the best or apply for a refund...:D

elfdoctors

Thanks for the advice Squidd. You must be in northeastern WI as our minimum temperature today was a balmy 25. It was actually a beautiful day here today. We made it into the 40's today. The shipment didn't even get to Minneapolis until ~7:45 this morning so I don't think it was related to the outside temperature. Everything else in the shipment seems fine. The fish and crabs look great. I even have an orange linkia which has been getting progressively more active as it has been acclimated.
No more activity in the last 3 hours. I'm not optimistic. :nope: I also see that it is missing one of its long front feelers. The bag did not stink when I opened it.
When I am finished acclimating I think I am going to have to put it into a perforated container I have so that the clean up crew doesn't eat it if it is dead.

elfdoctors

It hasn't moved since that possible kick early in the 7 hour acclimation.
How long do I wait until I determine that it is dead?
The only think I can think of is to wait until it starts to smell. I think its dead but want to make absolutely sure that it is not just molting.

reefsoe

I am pretty sure its dead despite your great efforts. When molting I believe they move around much more to squirm out of there old shell. Good try though be proud of your attempt