acclimating shrimp

N

nick17

I heard they are supposed to be acclimated a little longer than other things..
I am just curious how to acclimate a shrimp. I want to get a cleaner shrimp, but don't want to waste $15 and have the shrimp die..
Any help would be appreciated..
-Nick

birdy

I usually set up a drip, I think I acclimated my shrimp for about two hours, after the bag fills up, dump half the water out and let it fill up again so that by the time you are done the water in the bag is all water from your tank.

krux

one of my newer techniques was to buy one of the in tank refugiums from cpr, and after taking a nice long acclimation period on my shrimp, i would pop them in the in tank refugium. this allowed them a couple more hours to get adjusted to the water, and time to check out the other inhabitants. this kept the fish from thinking that new food was being thrown in as well. for 20 bucks on ----, it was a great purchase.
as soon as the things are happy and actively looking for ways out of the fuge i know they are ready to go and out they go.

D

dboy999

hey im just a beginner but i floated mine for about 20 min. popped them in an there perfectly fine 3 weeks now 2 cleaners an a peppermint...

michaeltx

something work good for some people and not for others.
if your tank water is close to the LFS then its not as much of a change. but if there is a drsastic change between them then it would be deadly just to plop them in.
I myself cant keep those little things alive more than a few minutes and never have figured out why so I quit trying.
Mike

saltywhit67

Mike I feel your pain! Today I picked up a new pep trying to acclimate it now. I did a drip the last 2 times for an hour the first time and 2 the second. Both died almost immediately after being dropped in the tank. it is frustrating and I hope this one is a fighter and will survive